A theory of capital as value in progress
This is a paper on the theory of capital. It deals with the role of capital in a cost-of-production theory of value in which both labour and capital are directly productive. The guidelines of an analytical method are proposed. Marx’s ‘monetary expression of abstract labour-value’ (MEV) is used as price-index. It is preferred to the ‘monetary expression of labour time’ (MELT), exclusively focused on living labour, suggested by some neo-Marxist scholars during the ’New Value Controversy’. The author, a critical Marxist, develops the trace provided by Marx in his Grundrisse ’Fragment on Machines’, where he pointed out the need to abandon the labour theory of value and to rely on a broader labour-and-capital monetary theoretical construction. Due attention is paid in this essay to the time and money dimensions of capital and to the roles of both real and financial capital.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avi J. Cohen, 2003. "Retrospectives: Whatever Happened to the Cambridge Capital Theory Controversies?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 199-214, Winter.
- Duccio Cavalieri, 2009. "Sull'inseparabilità delle strutture sintattiche nell'analisi classica del valore e della distribuzione," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(97), pages 5-46.
- Dong-Min Rieu, 2008. "Estimating Sectoral Rates Of Surplus Value: Methodological Issues," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 557-573, November.
- repec:pra:mprapa:44127 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cavalieri, Duccio, 2009.
"Sull'inseparabilità delle strutture sintattiche nell'analisi classica del valore e della distribuzione
[On the inseparability of synctactic structures in classical analysis of value and distributio," MPRA Paper 57896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Cavalieri, Duccio, 2004.
"On Some Equilibrium and Disequilibrium Theories of Endogenous Money: A Structuralist View,"
43738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Duccio Cavalieri, 2004. "On Some Equilibrium and Disequilibrium Theories of Endogenous Money: A Structuralist View," History of Economic Ideas, Fabrizio Serra Editore, Pisa - Roma, vol. 12(3), pages 51-83.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 407-36, July.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution: Reply," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 439, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.