Towards a revision of the theory of capital
This is a proposal to restate the theory of capital along critical Marxian lines aimed at providing a better integration of the theory of capital with the theory of money and finance. The time value of money must be properly accounted for. An analytical method is proposed to accomplish this task. The fundamental Marxian problem of the origin of profit is treated with reference to a specific price index, the monetary expression of labour value (MEV), which accounts for both explicit and implicit cost components, including the financial cost of capital. MEV should not be confused with MELT, the ‘New Interpretation’ money expression of living labour time, which does not consider the opportunity-cost of capital and, following the erroneous net value equality, focuses on the money value of the living labour time commanded by commodities at a given wage rate, rather than on the money value of total abstract labour time embodied in commodities, inclusive of both living and past labour.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freeman, Alan & Kliman, Andrew, 2008. "Simultaneous Valuation vs. the Exploitation Theory of Profit: A summing up," MPRA Paper 6891, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Armitage,Seth, 2005. "The Cost of Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521801959, November.
- Joan Robinson, 1970. "Capital Theory Up to Date," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 3(2), pages 309-17, May.
- Keen, Steve, 1993. "The Misinterpretation of Marx's Theory of Value," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 282-300, September.
- Burmeister,Edwin, 1980. "Capital Theory and Dynamics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521297035, November.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1992.
"Business Fixed Investment Spending: A Critical survey of Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications,"
9213, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1993. "Business fixed investment spending: a critical survey of modeling strategies, empirical results, and policy implications," Research Working Paper 93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Cavalieri, Duccio, 2009.
"Sull'inseparabilità delle strutture sintattiche nell'analisi classica del valore e della distribuzione
[On the inseparability of synctactic structures in classical analysis of value and distributio," MPRA Paper 57896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Duccio Cavalieri, 2009. "Sull'inseparabilità delle strutture sintattiche nell'analisi classica del valore e della distribuzione," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(97), pages 5-46.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1993. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1875-1911, December.
- Cavalieri, Duccio, 2013. "A theory of capital as value in progress," MPRA Paper 47197, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P. Garegnani, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 407-436.
- Armitage,Seth, 2005. "The Cost of Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521000444, November.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.