Is body mass human capital in sumo? Outcome of globalization and formation of human capital in Japan
Sumo wrestling is a traditional fighting sport in Japan and has been popular since the 18th century (the Edo period). Using a data set for all sumo wrestlers in the post-World War II period, this paper investigates how wrestlers’ body mass index (BMI) is associated with their win rate and absence rate. Further, the effect of BMI is compared between an early period (before the emergence of foreign wrestlers) and later period (after the emergence of foreign wrestlers). After accounting for endogenous bias using instrumental variables, the key findings are that (1) there is no positive relationship between the BMI and win rate in either the early or later period and (2) there is a positive relationship between the BMI and absence rate in the later period but not in the early period. From the findings in this paper, I make the argument that an increase in the number of immigrants with human capital different from that of domestic labor leads the domestic labor to obtain human capital that does not match its characteristics, thereby reducing the performance of domestic labor.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vignerova, J. & Humenikova, L. & Brabec, M. & Riedlova, J. & Blaha, P., 2007. "Long-term changes in body weight, BMI, and adiposity rebound among children and adolescents in the Czech republic," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 409-425, December.
- Ruxanda Berlinschi & Jeroen Schokkaert & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2010.
"When Drains and Gains Coincide: Migration and International Football Performance,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
26510, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Berlinschi, Ruxanda & Schokkaert, Jeroen & Swinnen, Johan, 2013. "When drains and gains coincide: Migration and international football performance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 1-14.
- Gnanaraj Chellaraj & Keith E. Maskus & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008. "The Contribution of International Graduate Students to US Innovation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 444-462, 08.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2012.
"Influence of body image in urbanized areas: differences in long-term changes in teenage body mass index between boys and girls in Japan,"
Journal of Bioeconomics,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 243-256, October.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010. "Influence of body image in urbanized areas: Differences in long-term changes in teenage body mass index between boys and girls in Japan," MPRA Paper 23436, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giovanni Peri & Chad Sparber, 2009.
"Task Specialization, Immigration and Wages,"
91, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Giovanni Peri & Chad Sparber, 2008. "Task Specialisation, Immigration and Wages," Development Working Papers 252, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Giovanni Peri & Chad Sparber, 2008. "Task Specialization, Immigration, and Wages," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0802, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- George J. Borjas & Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008. "Imperfect Substitution between Immigrants and Natives: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 13887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2006.
"Rethinking the Effects of Immigration on Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
12497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. & Peri, Giovanni, 2007. "Rethinking the effects of immigration on wages," HWWI Research Papers 3-8, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Giovanni Peri & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2006. "Rethinking the Effects of Immigration on Wages," Working Papers 634, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Mark Duggan & Steven D. Levitt, 2002.
"Winning Isn't Everything: Corruption in Sumo Wrestling,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1594-1605, December.
- Mark Duggan & Steven D. Levitt, 2000. "Winning Isn't Everything: Corruption in Sumo Wrestling," NBER Working Papers 7798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2010.
"Work Out or Out of Work: The Labor Market Return to Physical Fitness and Leisure Sport Activities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4684, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2011. "Work out or out of work -- The labor market return to physical fitness and leisure sports activities," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 399-409, June.
- Ewing, Bradley T., 1998. "Athletes and work," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 113-117, April.
- Martin B. Schmidt & David J. Berri, 2005. "Concentration of Playing Talent," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 6(4), pages 412-419, November.
- Nicola Persico & Andrew Postlewaite & Dan Silverman, 2004.
"The Effect of Adolescent Experience on Labor Market Outcomes: The Case of Height,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(5), pages 1019-1053, October.
- Nicola Persico & Andrew Postlewaite & Dan Silverman, 2003. "The Effect of Adolescent Experience on Labor Market Outcomes: The Case of Height," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-036, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nicola Persico & Andrew Postlewaite & Dan Silverman, 2004. "The Effect of Adolescent Experience on Labor Market Outcomes: The Case of Height," NBER Working Papers 10522, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saint Onge, Jarron M. & Krueger, Patrick M. & Rogers, Richard G., 2008. "Historical trends in height, weight, and body mass: Data from U.S. Major League Baseball players, 1869-1983," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 482-488, December.
- Zellner, Konrad & Ulbricht, Gottfried & Kromeyer-Hauschild, Katrin, 2007. "Long-term trends in body mass index of children in Jena, Eastern Germany," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 426-434, December.
- Böckerman, Petri & Johansson, Edvard & Kiiskinen, Urpo & Heliövaara, Markku, 2010. "The relationship between physical work and the height premium: Finnish evidence," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 414-420, December.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2009. "Technology transfer and convergence of performance: an economic study of FIFA football ranking," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 261-266.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2001.
"Inducing Human Capital Formation: Migration as a Substitute for Subsidies,"
100, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2002. "Inducing human capital formation: migration as a substitute for subsidies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-46, October.
- Zellner, Konrad & Jaeger, Uwe & Kromeyer-Hauschild, Katrin, 2004. "Height, weight and BMI of schoolchildren in Jena, Germany--are the secular changes levelling off?," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 281-294, June.
- SHIMASAWA Manabu & OGURO Kazumasa, 2009. "The Impact of Immigration on the Japanese Economy: A multi-country simulation model," Discussion papers 09020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- John M. Barron & Bradley T. Ewing & Glen R. Waddell, 2000. "The Effects Of High School Athletic Participation On Education And Labor Market Outcomes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 409-421, August.
- Chrzanowska, Maria & Koziel, Slawomir & Ulijaszek, Stanlej J., 2007. "Changes in BMI and the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents in Cracow, Poland, 1971-2000," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 370-378, December.
- Dan-Olof Rooth, 2009. "Obesity, Attractiveness, and Differential Treatment in Hiring: A Field Experiment," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Lechner, Michael, 2009. "Long-run labour market and health effects of individual sports activities," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 839-854, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50866. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.