Determinants of firm competitiveness: case of the Turkish textile and apparel industry
This article explores determinants of competitiveness in the booming Turkish textile and apparel industry. Using focus groups, nationwide survey data and explanatory factor analysis we identify 27 competitiveness items grouped into eight constructs. According to Turkish managers, the competitiveness of textile and apparel firm is heavily determined by the product differentiation, efforts across foreign markets, and availability of government’s incentive and support programs. In contrast to existing studies, we find little evidence that firm networking in different forms such as close relationship politicians and state employees, clustering, and participating in the industry associations have a large effect on firm competitiveness.
|Date of creation:||13 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Micheline Goedhuys & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2010.
"High-growth entrepreneurial firms in Africa: a quantile regression approach,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 31-51, January.
- Goedhuys, Micheline & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2009. "High-Growth Entrepreneurial Firms in Africa: A Quantile Regression Approach," WIDER Working Paper Series 011, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bess, Randall, 2006. "New Zealand seafood firm competitiveness in export markets: The role of the quota management system and aquaculture legislation," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 367-378, July.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2008. "Banking Services for Everyone? Barriers to Bank Access and Use around the World," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 397-430, November.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2006. "Banking services for everyone ? Barriers to bank access and use around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4079, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Martinez Peria, M., 2008. "Banking services for everyone? Barriers to bank access and use around the world," Other publications TiSEM 667b51d6-c698-43ce-9777-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Altenburg, Tilman & Schmitz, Hubert & Stamm, Andreas, 2008. "Breakthrough China's and India's Transition from Production to Innovation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 325-344, February.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2010. "Formal versus Informal Finance: Evidence from China," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3048-3097, August.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008. "Formal versus informal finance : evidence from China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4465, The World Bank.
- Antonio Fonfria & Isabel Alvarez & Raquel Marin, "undated". "The Role of Networking in the Competitiveness Profile of Spanish Firms," EcoMod2006 272100027, EcoMod.
- Isabel Álvarez & Antonio Fonfría Mesa & Raquel Marín, 2005. "The role of networking in the competitiveness profile of Spanish firms," Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales 0504, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Nebojsa Stojcic & Iraj Hashi & Shqiponja Telhaj, 2011. "Innovation Activities and Competitiveness: Empirical Evidence on the Behaviour of Firms in the New EU Member States and Candidate Countries," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 424, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Gadhoum, Yoser, 1999. "Potential effects of managers' entrenchment and shareholdings on competitiveness," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 332-349, October.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1985. "Do Markets Differ Much?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 341-351, June.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1984. "Do markets differ much?," Working papers 1531-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- McGahan, Anita M, 1999. "The Performance of US Corporations: 1981-1994," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 373-398, December.
- Jean, Ruey-Jer Bryan & Tan, Danchi & Sinkovics, Rudolf R., 2011. "Ethnic ties, location choice, and firm performance in foreign direct investment: A study of Taiwanese business groups FDI in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 627-635.
- Avella, Lucia & Fernandez, Esteban & Vazquez, Camilo J., 2001. "Analysis of manufacturing strategy as an explanatory factor of competitiveness in the large Spanish industrial firm," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 139-157, July.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier & Scott Wallsten & Lixin Colin Xu, 2006. "Ownership, investment climate and firm performance," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(4), pages 629-647, October.
- Man, Thomas W. Y. & Lau, Theresa & Chan, K. F., 2002. "The competitiveness of small and medium enterprises: A conceptualization with focus on entrepreneurial competencies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 123-142, March.
- Thomas Vollrath, 1991. "A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 127(2), pages 265-280, June.
- Bwalya, Samuel Mulenga, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Evidence from panel data analysis of manufacturing firms in Zambia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 514-526, December.
- Nachum, Lilach, 1998. "Do The Diamonds Of Foreign Countries Shape The Competitiveness Of Firms? A Case Study Of The Swedish Engineering Consulting Industry," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 459-478, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46974. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.