Perceived Internet privacy concerns on social network in Europe
The development of computing technologies and Internet has made possible to capture, save and analyse increasing mount of personal information, which might impact public concern about privacy. The present article aims at analysing Internet privacy concerns in respect to social network website. We use a well-suited dataset of 23 087 individuals collected by the European Union in 2009 in all member states. Fitting an ordered logit model, we examine the variables associated with the probability to have high privacy concerns in order to draw policy and regulatory implications. The results show that institutional framework ensuring comprehensive national efforts to safeguard privacy increases the probability to be worried about possible misuse of private data. Additionally, we observe that socio-demographic variables affect the perception of individual personal data use/misuse.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neeraj Arora & Xavier Dreze & Anindya Ghose & James Hess & Raghuram Iyengar & Bing Jing & Yogesh Joshi & V. Kumar & Nicholas Lurie & Scott Neslin & S. Sajeesh & Meng Su & Niladri Syam & Jacquelyn Thom, 2008. "Putting one-to-one marketing to work: Personalization, customization, and choice," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321, December.
- Heikkila, Eric J., 2011. "An information perspective on path dependence," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 23-45, March.
- Cuneyt Koyuncu & Donald Lien, 2003. "E-commerce and consumer's purchasing behaviour," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 721-726.
- Catherine Tucker, 2010. "Social Networks, Personalized Advertising, and Privacy Controls," Working Papers 10-07, NET Institute.
- Chen, Peng-Ting & Hsieh, Hsin-Pei, 2012. "Personalized mobile advertising: Its key attributes, trends, and social impact," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 543-557.
- Avi Goldfarb & Catherine E. Tucker, 2011. "Privacy Regulation and Online Advertising," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(1), pages 57-71, January.
- Tucker, Catherine E., 2012. "The economics of advertising and privacy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 326-329.
- Alan L. Montgomery & Shibo Li & Kannan Srinivasan & John C. Liechty, 2004. "Modeling Online Browsing and Path Analysis Using Clickstream Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(4), pages 579-595, November.
- Varian, Hal R, 1985. "Price Discrimination and Social Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 870-75, September.
- George J. Stigler, 1980. "An Introduction to Privacy in Economics and Politics," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 10, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.