E-commerce and consumer's purchasing behaviour
After its first exposure to the public in 1993, there has been a rapid increase in the use of the Internet for different purposes, particularly for electronic trade. In such a new trade area, there are a lot of issues to be addressed with regard to the consumer's purchasing behaviour. This study analyses the roles of sexual preference, primary place of online access, and online experience as well as demographic and economic factors on the consumer's purchasing decision. Moreover, this study investigates the impact of the potential and/or prevalent critical issues facing the Internet (e.g. taxation of services, privacy, censorship, etc.) on online orders. Surprisingly, sexual preferences have a large significant effect on online purchases. Gay and bisexual people are more likely to shop from the Internet than the other ones. The results, also, suggest that people with more online experiences in a more private and secure environment like home are disposed to order more from the Internet. In addition to that, only the issues of taxation of services and privacy have some statistically significant effects on online purchasing decisions. The former and latter have positive and negative impacts on online orders respectively.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hellerstein, Walter, 1997. "Transaction Taxes and Electronic Commerce: Designing State Taxes That Work in an Interstate Environment," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 50(3), pages 593-606, September.
- Lee McKnight & Joseph P. Bailey, 1997. "Global Internet Economics," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993.
"Pricing the Internet,"
20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Fox, William F. & Murray, Matthew N., 1997. "The Sales Tax and Electronic Commerce: So What's New?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 50(3), pages 573-92, September.
- Nathan Berg & Donald Lien, 2002. "Measuring The Effect Of Sexual Orientation On Income: Evidence Of Discrimination?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 394-414, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:6:p:721-726. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.