Production Efficiency in Peasant Agriculture: An Application of LISREL Model
The study examined a simplified conceptual model which incorporates variables that influence the processes and consequences of household decision-making in the Ada and Selale districts of the Ethiopian highlands. Linear structural relations (LISREL) analysis was performed on three conceptual models. The results of LISREL analysis indicate that the magnitude of contribution of factors to production efficiency in descending order as: skill variables (e.g., experience, secular education and production knowledge), consequences of access to resources or institutions (e.g., wealth), technologies adopted, physical factors (e.g., land and labour) and extension education. The impact of inputs on production efficiency was greater among farmers who have adopted one or two technologies (Ada) and two or more technologies (Selale). Successful adoption can be attained if, given appropriate socioeconomic environment, skills of producers are matched to the requirements of technologies, and when the choice of technologies are compatible with the goals of households, experience, region and enterprise specific comparative advantages.
|Date of creation:||12 Apr 1993|
|Date of revision:||12 Aug 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S.A.B. Ekanayake & Sisira Jayasuriya, 1989.
"Change, Adjustment And The Role Of Specific Experience: Evidence From Sri Lankan Rice Farming,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(2), pages 123-135, 08.
- Ekanayake, S.A.B. & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 1989. "Change, Adjustment And The Role Of Specific Experience: Evidence From Sri Lankan Rice Farming," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(02), August.
- Getahun, Amare, 1978. "Agricultural systems in Ethiopia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 281-293, October.
- Getahun, Amare, 1980. "Agro-climates and agricultural systems in Ethiopia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-50.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.