Marketing in smes: the role of entrepreneurial sensemaking
Marketing literature has emphasized the factors hampering marketing planning and strategizing in small firms, in particular resource scarcity, lack of specialized structures and competences. Recent streams of literature in entrepreneurial marketing have nonetheless shown that small firms do engage in peculiar marketing strategies and activities that do not necessarily reflect codified processes observed in large organizations. Within this line of research, the article aims at contributing to extant theory in entrepreneurial marketing placing under scrutiny the generative moments of marketing strategies in small firms. Through the integration of literature in entrepreneurial marketing and in entrepreneurship and through the analysis of four case studies, the article proposes a conceptual framework that emphasizes the centrality of entrepreneurial sensemaking in small and medium-sized enterprises’ marketing strategies. We posit that entrepreneurs are engaged in the construction of interpretive frameworks that, when explicated and made accessible to consumers and stakeholders, legitimate novel business ideas and logics. These interpretive frameworks structure the content and processes of marketing activities. Theoretically, the article aims at contributing to the debate on marketing in small businesses shedding light on the processes underlying the formation of marketing strategies. Propositions are offered to guide future empirical research based on the proposed conceptual framework.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muniz, Albert M, Jr & O'Guinn, Thomas C, 2001. " Brand Community," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 412-32, March.
- Foss, Nicolai J. & Klein, Peter G. & Kor, Yasemin Y. & Mahoney, Joseph T., 2006. "Entrepreneurship, Subjectivism, and the Resource-Based View: Towards a New Synthesis," Working Papers 06-0121, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Green, Kimberly M. & Covin, Jeffrey G. & Slevin, Dennis P., 2008. "Exploring the relationship between strategic reactiveness and entrepreneurial orientation: The role of structure-style fit," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 356-383, May.
- Ulrich Witt, 2007.
"Firms as Realizations of Entrepreneurial Visions,"
Journal of Management Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1125-1140, November.
- Zoltan Acs, 2006. "How Is Entrepreneurship Good for Economic Growth?," Innovations: Technology, Governance, Globalization, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 97-107, March.
- Schouten, John W & McAlexander, James H, 1995. " Subcultures of Consumptions: An Ethnography of the New Bikers," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 43-61, June.
- Cova, Bernard & Dalli, Daniele, 2009. "Working Consumers: The Next Step in Marketing Theory?," MPRA Paper 36717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2005.
"The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm and the Theory of the Entrepreneurial Firm,"
2005-27, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2005.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2007. "The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm and the Theory of the Entrepreneurial Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1107-1124, November.
- Eleonora Di Maria & Vladi Finotto, 2008. "Communities of Consumption and Made in Italy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 179-197.
- Holt, Douglas B, 2002. " Why Do Brands Cause Trouble? A Dialectical Theory of Consumer Culture and Branding," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 70-90, June.
- Soares, Ana Maria & Farhangmehr, Minoo & Shoham, Aviv, 2007. "Hofstede's dimensions of culture in international marketing studies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 277-284, March.
- Krishnamurthy, Sandeep & Kucuk, S. Umit, 2009. "Anti-branding on the internet," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1119-1126, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.