Unveiling the founder effect: a conceptual framework of entrepreneurial imprinting
Literature in strategy and entrepreneurship resorted to the concept of imprinting to explain the resilience of firms' traits. Nonetheless, it assumed such a process is at work rather than indulging in its explanation. This article advances a conceptual framework based on an original definition of the imprints and on a dynamic view of the mechanisms pinpointing the replication, substitution, and re-negotiation of imprints in time. In particular, we identify entrepreneursÕ cognitive frames as what gets stamped on organizations. Moreover, we build a conceptual model based on resource mobilization, emphasizing the role of agency and politics in entrepreneurial imprinting.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0412348721
Fax: +39 0412348701
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.management
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- U. Witt, 2005.
"Firms as Realizations of Entrepreneurial Visions,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-10, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ilídio Barreto, 2012. "Solving the Entrepreneurial Puzzle: The Role of Entrepreneurial Interpretation in Opportunity Formation and Related Processes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 356-380, 03.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Grilli, Luca, 2005. "Founders' human capital and the growth of new technology-based firms: A competence-based view," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 795-816, August.
- Ivo Zander, 2007. "Do You See What I Mean? An Entrepreneurship Perspective on the Nature and Boundaries of the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1141-1164, November.
- Alvarez, Sharon A., 2007. "Entrepreneurial rents and the theory of the firm," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 427-442, May.
- Sharon A. Alvarez & Jay B. Barney, 2007. "The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1057-1063, November.
- Brian J. Loasby, 2007. "A Cognitive Perspective on Entrepreneurship and the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1078-1106, November.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2007.
"The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm and the Theory of the Entrepreneurial Firm,"
Journal of Management Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1107-1124, November.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2005. "The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm and the Theory of the Entrepreneurial Firm," Working papers 2005-27, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2005.
- Yasemin Y. Kor & Joseph T. Mahoney & Steven C. Michael, 2007. "Resources, Capabilities and Entrepreneurial Perceptions," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1187-1212, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpdman:78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.