An online discursive inquiry into the social dynamics of multi-stakeholder brand meaning co-creation
Brand research increasingly recognizes the active role of multiple stakeholders in co-creating brand meaning and the importance of new social media supporting stakeholders in their co-creation efforts. However, empirical insights into the social process of online multi-stakeholder brand meaning co-creation are so far missing. This study contributes to existing research by illuminating the social dynamics that characterize multi-stakeholder brand meaning co-creation in a virtual environment. The authors undertake an online discursive inquiry focusing on stakeholders’ textual interactions regarding the UK Gate Gourmet brand crisis. The empirical study aggregates online stakeholder texts to illustrate (a) relationships between salient stakeholders and (b) discursive strategies and resources stakeholders apply to co-create brand meaning. The article concludes that brand meaning results from simultaneous interactions between interdependent stakeholders in a network (termed multi-log). Successfully managing brands requires management's active engagement in this multi-log.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hogg, Margaret K. & Banister, Emma N. & Stephenson, Christopher A., 2009. "Mapping symbolic (anti-) consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 148-159, February.
- Cherrier, Hélène, 2009. "Anti-consumption discourses and consumer-resistant identities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 181-190, February.
- Jason Potts & John Hartley & John Banks & Jean Burgess & Rachel Cobcroft & Stuart Cunningham & Lucy Montgomery, 2008. "Consumer Co-creation and Situated Creativity," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 459-474.
- Payne, Adrian & Storbacka, Kaj & Frow, Pennie & Knox, Simon, 2009. "Co-creating brands: Diagnosing and designing the relationship experience," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 379-389, March.
- Benjamin Neville & Bulent Menguc, 2006. "Stakeholder Multiplicity: Toward an Understanding of the Interactions between Stakeholders," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 66(4), pages 377-391, 07.
- Arnould, Eric J & Price, Linda L, 1993. " River Magic: Extraordinary Experience and the Extended Service Encounter," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(1), pages 24-45, June.
- Thompson, Craig J & Pollio, Howard R & Locander, William B, 1994. " The Spoken and the Unspoken: A Hermeneutic Approach to Understanding the Cultural Viewpoints That Underlie Consumers' Expressed Meanings," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(3), pages 432-52, December.
- Keller, Kevin Lane, 2003. " Brand Synthesis: The Multidimensionality of Brand Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 595-600, March.
- Arnold, Stephen J & Fischer, Eileen, 1994. " Hermeneutics and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 55-70, June.
- Krishnamurthy, Sandeep & Kucuk, S. Umit, 2009. "Anti-branding on the internet," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1119-1126, November.
- Fuller, Johann & Jawecki, Gregor & Muhlbacher, Hans, 2007. "Innovation creation by online basketball communities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 60-71, January.
- Muniz, Albert M, Jr & O'Guinn, Thomas C, 2001. " Brand Community," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 412-32, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:9:p:1505-1515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.