The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: deterrent or barrier?
The paper investigates the effects of the entry price scheme for fresh fruit and vegetables. The analysis is conducted on the European prices of tomatoes, lemons and apples for some of the main competing countries on the European domestic markets: Morocco, Argentina, Turkey and China. The econometric analysis is based on testing and estimating a switching vector autoregressive model with endogenous threshold entry price level. The model shows the isolation effects and the accumulation of Standard Import Values above the trigger entry price. This paper contributes to clarify the role played by the Entry Price System in avoiding or deterring low priced imports from main European partner Countries.
|Date of creation:||30 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kempen, Markus & Witzke, Peter & Pérez Domínguez, Ignacio & Jansson, Torbjörn & Sckokai, Paolo, 2011. "Economic and environmental impacts of milk quota reform in Europe," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-52, January.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G. & Christopoulos, Dimitris K., 2003. "Maastricht convergence and real convergence: European evidence from threshold and smooth transition regression models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 43-52, January.
- Carlo Fezzi & Ian J. Bateman, 2011. "Structural Agricultural Land Use Modeling for Spatial Agro-Environmental Policy Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1168-1188.
- Alba, Joseph D. & Park, Donghyun, 2005. "An empirical investigation of purchasing power parity (PPP) for Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 989-1000, November.
- Emlinger, Charlotte & Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Jacquet, Florence, 2010. "Fruit and vegetable access to EU markets: Dissecting tariffs faced by Mediterranean countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 599-611, December.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Charlotte Emlinger & Florence Jacquet & Emmanuelle Chevassus Lozza, 2008. "Tariffs and other trade costs: assessing obstacles to Mediterranean countries' access to EU-15 fruit and vegetable markets," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 409-438, December.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2010.
"A Meta-Analysis of Estimates of the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade,"
Staff General Research Papers
31968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2012. "A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 497-511.
- Cioffi, Antonio & dell'Aquila, Crescenzo, 2004. "The effects of trade policies for fresh fruit and vegetables of the European Union," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 169-185, April.
- Swinbank, Alan, 2011. "Fruit and Vegetables, and the Role They Have Played in Determining the EUâ€™s Aggregate Measurement of Support," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 12(2).
- Jose-Maria Garcia-Alvarez-Coque & Victor Martinez-Gomez & Miquel Villanueva, 2010. "Seasonal protection of F&V imports in the EU: impacts of the entry price system," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 205-218, 03.
- Pavel Ciaian & Maria Espinosa & Sergio Gomez y Paloma & Stephen Langrell & Kamel Louhichi & Thierry Vard & Thomas Heckelei & Paolo Sckokai & Alban Thomas, 2013.
"Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers
JRC79969, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Sieber, Stefan & Pérez Domínguez, Ignacio, 2011. "Impact assessment of agrifood policies in Europe: Methods, tools and applications," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 7-7, January.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2009. "The EU entry price system for fresh fruits and vegetables - Paper tiger or powerful market barrier?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 81-93, February.
- Cioffi, Antonio & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Vitale, Cosimo, 2010.
"The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruits and vegetables,"
24828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Cioffi & Fabio Gaetano Santeramo & Cosimo Damiano Vitale, 2011. "The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruit and vegetables," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 405-418, 05.
- Paola Cardamone, 2011. "The effect of preferential trade agreements on monthly fruit exports to the European Union," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 553-586, October.
- Chen, Sheng-Tung & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2005. "Government size and economic growth in Taiwan: A threshold regression approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1051-1066, December.
- Soregaroli, Claudio & Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2011. "Agricultural policy modelling under imperfect competition," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 195-212, March.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2010. "The entry price system for fresh fruit and vegetable exports from China to the EU -- Breaking a fly on the wheel?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 377-393, September.
- Hansen,B.E., 1999.
"Testing for linearity,"
7, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Winchester, Niven, 2009. "Is there a dirty little secret? Non-tariff barriers and the gains from trade," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 819-834, November.
- Swinbank, Alan & Ritson, Christopher, 1995. "The impact of the GATT agreement on EU fruit and vegetable policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 339-357, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36431. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.