A Threshold-Var Approach To Assess The Efficacy Of The Eu Import Regime
The efficacy of the entry price policy in the European fresh fruits and vegetables sector is not well understood. We investigate econometrically the efficacy of the import policy. The analysis estimates a threshold vector autoregressive model using data on imports the main competing country on the European Union domestic markets. Our results allow concluding on the insulating effects induced by the entry price system. We argue that the quota restrictions are likely to provide larger contribution to the domestic market stabilization. Policy implications are provided.
Volume (Year): 2 (1)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.foodandagriculturejournal.com/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1992.
"On the Behaviour of Commodity Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1990. "On The Behavior of Commodity Prices," NBER Working Papers 3439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2006. "Unit root tests in three-regime SETAR models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(2), pages 252-278, 07.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2002. "Unit Root Tests in Three-Regime SETAR Models," Working Papers 465, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2003. "Unit Root Tests in Three-Regime SETAR Models," ESE Discussion Papers 104, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," NBER Working Papers 9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Cioffi & Fabio Gaetano Santeramo & Cosimo Damiano Vitale, 2011. "The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruit and vegetables," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 405-418, 05.
- Cioffi, Antonio & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Vitale, Cosimo, 2010. "The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruits and vegetables," MPRA Paper 24828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2. "Transmission Of Market Crises In The European Vegetables Sector," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni Lâ€™Informatore Agrario, issue 2.
- Jose-Maria Garcia-Alvarez-Coque & Victor Martinez-Gomez & Miquel Villanueva, 2010. "Seasonal protection of F&V imports in the EU: impacts of the entry price system," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 205-218, 03.
- Bagoulla, Corinne & Péridy, Nicolas, 2011. "Market access and the other determinants of North–South manufacturing location choice: An application to the Euro-Mediterranean area," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 537-561.
- Frederic Bec & Melika Ben Salem & Marine Carrasco, 2004. "Tests for Unit-Root versus Threshold Specification With an Application to the Purchasing Power Parity Relationship," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 382-395, October.
- Swinbank, Alan, 2011. "Fruit and Vegetables, and the Role They Have Played in Determining the EUâ€™s Aggregate Measurement of Support," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 12(2).
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Swinbank, Alan & Ritson, Christopher, 1995. "The impact of the GATT agreement on EU fruit and vegetable policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 339-357, August.
- JosÈ-MarÌa GarcÌa-Alvarez-Coque, 2002. "Agricultural trade and the Barcelona Process: is full liberalisation possible?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 399-422, July.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012. "The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: Deterrent or barrier?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 691-704.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012. "The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: deterrent or barrier?," MPRA Paper 36431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rickard, Bradley J. & Sumner, Daniel A., 2011. "Was there policy "reform"? Evolution of EU domestic support for processed fruits and vegetables," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 438-449, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ijfaec:163704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.