Knowledge spillovers and economic performance of firms located in depressed areas: does geographical proximity matter?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Bart Verspagen & Wilfred Schoenmakers, 2004.
"The spatial dimension of patenting by multinational firms in europe,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 23-42, January.
- Verspagen, B. & Schoenmakers, W., 2002. "The Spatial Dimension of Patenting by Multinational Firms in Europe," Working Papers 02.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Harabi, Najib, 1995.
"Channels of R&D Spillovers: An Empirical Investigation,"
26270, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harabi, N., 1995. "Channels of R & D Spillovers: An Empirical Investigation," Papers 37, Universitat Zurich - Wirtschaftswissenschaftliches Institut.
- Martin Andersson & Charlie Karlsson, 2007. "Knowledge in Regional Economic Growth—The Role of Knowledge Accessibility," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 129-149.
- Lydia Greunz, 2005. "Intra- and inter-regional knowledge spillovers: Evidence from European regions," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 449-473, April.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Kornelius Kraft, 2012.
"Spillovers of innovation activities and their profitability,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 302-322, April.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2007. "Spillovers of Innovation Activities and Their Profitability," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-073, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Andreas Poldahl, 2012. "The Two Faces of R&D: Does Firm Absorptive Capacity Matter?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 221-237, June.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2002.
"Measuring knowledge spillovers in manufacturing and services: an empirical assessment of alternative approaches,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 125-144, January.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 1999. "Measuring Knowledge Spillovers in Manufacturing and Services: An Empirical Assessment of Alternative Approaches," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-62, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ornaghi, Carmine, 2006.
"Spillovers in product and process innovation: Evidence from manufacturing firms,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 349-380, March.
- Ornaghi, Carmine, 2002. "Spillovers in product and process innovation: evidence from manufacturing firms," UC3M Working papers. Economics we023213, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila & Acs, Zoltan, 1997. "Local Geographic Spillovers between University Research and High Technology Innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 422-448, November.
- repec:taf:eurpls:v:19:y:2010:i:4:p:555-574 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ron A. Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2006.
"Why is economic geography not an evolutionary science? Towards an evolutionary economic geography,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 273-302, June.
- Ron A. Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2005. "Why is economic geography not an evolutionary science? Towards an evolutionary economic geography," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0501, Utrecht University, Department of Human Geography and Spatial Planning, Group Economic Geography, revised Feb 2005.
- Rune Dahl Fitjar & AndrÃ©s RodrÃguez-Pose, 2011.
"Innovating in the Periphery: Firms, Values and Innovation in Southwest Norway,"
European Planning Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 555-574, April.
- Rune Dahl Fitjar & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2009. "Innovating in the periphery: Firms, values, and innovation in Southwest Norway," Working Papers 2009-13, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Bönte, Werner, 2008. "Inter-firm trust in buyer-supplier relations: Are knowledge spillovers and geographical proximity relevant?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 855-870, September.
- Edward J. Malecki, 2010. "Everywhere? The Geography Of Knowledge," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 493-513.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008.
"Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Crescenzi, Riccardo, 2008. "Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Elizabeth Webster, 2004.
"Firms' decisions to innovate and innovation routines,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 733-745.
- Elizabeth Webster, 2003. "Firms' Decisions to Innovate and Innovation Routines," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2003n05, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Thomas Doring & Jan Schnellenbach, 2006.
"What do we know about geographical knowledge spillovers and regional growth?: A survey of the literature,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 375-395.
- Döring, Thomas & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2004. "What Do We Know About Geographical Knowledge Spillovers and Regional Growth? A Survey of the Literature," Research Notes 14, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Margarida Fontes, 2005. "Distant networking: The knowledge acquisition strategies of 'out-cluster' biotechnology firms," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 899-920, September.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-1171, September.
- Natário, Maria Manuela & Almeida Couto, João Pedro & Couto de Sousa, Maura Helena, 2012. "Innovation Processes of SMEs in Less Favoured Municipalities of Portugal," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 22, pages 81-103.
- Pedro de Faria & Francisco Lima, 2012.
"Interdependence and spillovers: is firm performance affected by others’ innovation activities?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(36), pages 4765-4775, December.
- Pedro De Faria & Francisco Lima, 2011. "Interdependence and spillovers: is firm performance affected by others' innovation activities?," Post-Print hal-00730231, HAL.
- Hisamitsu Saito & Munisamy Gopinath, 2011. "Knowledge Spillovers, Absorptive Capacity, And Skill Intensity Of Chilean Manufacturing Plants," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 83-101, February.
- Eckhardt Bode, 2004. "The spatial pattern of localized R&D spillovers: an empirical investigation for Germany," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 43-64, January.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Sena, Vania, 2004. "Total factor productivity and the spillover hypothesis: Some new evidence," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 31-42, November.
- Ash Amin & Patrick Cohendet, 2000. "Organisational Learning and Governance Through Embedded Practices," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 4(1), pages 93-116, March.
- Caragliu, Andrea & Del Bo, Chiara, 2011. "Determinants of spatial knowledge spillovers in Italian provinces," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 28-37, March.
- Aurora A. C. Teixeira & Paulo Santos & Ana Oliveira Brochado, 2006. "International R&D Cooperation between Low-tech SMEs: The Role of Cultural and Geographical Proximity," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(6), pages 785-810, October.
- Michael Funke & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2005. "Regional Geographic Research and Development Spillovers and Economic Growth: Evidence from West Germany," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 143-153.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Santos, Domingos & Simões, Maria João, 2014. "Regional innovation systems in Portugal: a critical evaluation," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 28, pages 37-56.
More about this item
KeywordsDepressed areas; Evolutionary Economic Geography; Knowledge Spillovers; Innovation.;
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- B52 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Historical; Institutional; Evolutionary
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- O3 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-04-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2013-04-13 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2013-04-13 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2013-04-13 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2013-04-13 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2013-04-13 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:488. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/fepuppt.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.