The impact of US fresh milk production standards on dairy trade
We analyse the impact of proposed changes in US legislation to allow greater use of dairy concentrate products in the production of fresh milk products. This change could potentially have a large impact on dairy trade as US tariffs on concentrated dairy products are low relative to average dairy tariffs. Our investigation builds a global model that identifies six dairy commodities and includes a detailed specification of the production of fresh milk products. We find that proposed changes in US legislation may lead to large proportional changes in US imports of concentrated milk products from some sources. However, as proposed changes in US regulations will only facilitate a small increase in the use of concentrated milk products in the production of fresh milk products, there are only small changes in global dairy production. We supplement results from our simulation model with a gravity analysis. Our results indicate that trade in concentrated milk products is positively related to aggregate dairy tariffs and negatively related to concentrated milk tariffs. This suggests that large tariffs on some dairy commodities influence the overall pattern of dairy trade.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 56, Dunedin|
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertel, Thomas & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2003.
"How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?,"
GTAP Working Papers
1324, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas & Hummels, David & Ivanic, Maros & Keeney, Roman, 2007. "How confident can we be of CGE-based assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 611-635, July.
- Thomas Hertel & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2004. "How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," NBER Working Papers 10477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schaefer Kurt C & Anderson Michael A & Ferrantino Michael J, 2008.
"Monte Carlo Appraisals of Gravity Model Specifications,"
Global Economy Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Anderson, Michael A. & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Schaefer, Kurt C., 2004. "Monte Carlos Appraisals of Gravity Model Specifications," Working Papers 15864, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Richard Nahuis, 2002.
"One size fits all? Accession to the internal market; an industry level assessment of EU enlargement,"
CPB Discussion Paper
14, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Nahuis, Richard, 2004. "One size fits all?: Accession to the internal market; an industry-level assessment of EU enlargement," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 571-586, July.
- G. Philippidis & A.I. Sanjuán, 2007. "An Examination of Morocco's Trade Options with the EU," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(2), pages 259-300, March.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2009.
"Estimating gravity equations: to log or not to log?,"
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 645-669, June.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2007. "Estimating Gravity Equations: To Log or Not to Log?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 739, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Zohra Bouamra-Mechemache & Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox & Vincent Réquillart, 2002. "Partial Market Liberalization and the Efficiency of Policy Reform: The Case of the European Dairy Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1003-1020.
- Baldwin, Richard & Taglioni, Daria, 2006.
"Gravity for Dummies and Dummies for Gravity Equations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5850, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin & Daria Taglioni, 2006. "Gravity for Dummies and Dummies for Gravity Equations," NBER Working Papers 12516, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippidis, G. & Carrington, A., 2005. "European Enlargement and Single Market Accession: A Mistreated Issue," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 543-566.
- Charteris, Angus & Winchester, Niven, 2010. "Dairy disaggregation and joint production in an economy-wide model," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- Joakim Westerlund & Fredrik Wilhelmsson, 2009. "Estimating the gravity model without gravity using panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 641-649.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:1117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.