Dairy disaggregation and joint production in an economy-wide model
We examine the impact of dairy disaggregation and joint production on trade liberalisation outcomes in an economy-wide model. Depending on parameterisation, our model includes either (a) a single dairy commodity, (b) several dairy commodities without joint production, or (c) several dairy commodities with joint production. In a numerical application, we consider the removal of US tariffs on dairy exports from New Zealand (the world's largest dairy exporter). We show that failing to account for joint production when dairy commodities are disaggregated leads to misleading results. Our preferred dairy production function differs from those used in other applied trade models.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 56, Dunedin|
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kym Anderson & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2007.
"Effects of multilateral and preferential trade policy reform in Africa: The case of Uganda,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 529-550.
- Kym Anderson & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2007. "Effects of Multilateral and Preferential Trade Policy Reform in Africa: The Case of Uganda," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2007-05, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and regional integration: the search for large numbers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 1999. "Trade liberalization and regional integration: the search for large numbers," TMD discussion papers 34, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Francois Joseph F & Wignaraja Ganeshan, 2008. "Economic Implications of Asian Integration," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-48, September.
- Robert Scollay & John Gilbert, 2000. "Measuring the Gains from APEC Trade Liberalisation: An Overview of CGE Assessments," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 175-197, 02.
- Julian M. Alston & Joseph V. Balagtas & Henrich Brunke & Daniel A. Sumner, 2006. "Supply and demand for commodity components: implications of free trade versus the AUSFTA for the US dairy industry ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), pages 131-152, 06.
- Alston, Julian M. & Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Brunke, Henrich & Sumner, Daniel A., 2006. "Supply and demand for commodity components: implications of free trade versus the AUSFTA for the US dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Jason H. Grant & Thomas W. Hertel & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Tariff line analysis of U.S. and international dairy protection," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 271-280, December.
- Allan Rae & Anna Strutt, 2004. "Multilateral agricultural trade reform: Potential impacts of current negotiations on New Zealand," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 175-205. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:0810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.