A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools
We conduct a two-stage (DEA and regression) analysis of the efficiency of New Zealand secondary schools. Unlike previous applications of two-stage semi-parametric modelling of the school Òproduction processÓ, we use Simar and WilsonÕs double bootstrap procedure, which permits valid inference in the presence of unknown serial correlation in the efficiency scores. We are therefore able to draw robust conclusions about a system that has undergone extensive reforms with respect to ideas high on the educational agenda such as decentralised school management and parental choice. Most importantly, we find that school type affects school efficiency and so too does teacher quality.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998.
"A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Ruggiero, John, 1996. "On the measurement of technical efficiency in the public sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 553-565, May.
- SIMARÂ , LÃ©opold, 1995. "Aspects of Statistical Analysis in DEA-Type Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera & Dario Farren, 2002. "The technical efficiency of schools in Chile," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(12), pages 1533-1552.
- Maria Alberta Oliveira & Carlos Santos, 2005. "Assessing school efficiency in Portugal using FDH and bootstrapping," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 957-968.
- David Jesson, . "The Comparative Evaluation of GCSE Value-Added Performance by Type of School and LEA," Discussion Papers 00/52, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Arie Y. Lewin & John W. Minton, 1986. "Determining Organizational Effectiveness: Another Look, and an Agenda for Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 514-538, May.
- Duncombe, William & Miner, Jerry & Ruggiero, John, 1997. " Empirical Evaluation of Bureaucratic Models of Inefficiency," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 93(1-2), pages 1-18, October.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, LÃ©opold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 1999.
"Some Problems with the Ferrier/Hirschberg Bootstrap Idea,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 67-80, February.
- SIMAR, LÃ©opold & WILSON, Paul W., 1997. "Some problems with the Ferrier/Hirschberg bootstrap idea," CORE Discussion Papers 1997062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Taylor, Lori L. & Weber, William L., 2001. "On the Determinants of School District Efficiency: Competition and Monitoring," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 453-478, May.
- Bradley, Steve & Johnes, Geraint & Millington, Jim, 2001. "The effect of competition on the efficiency of secondary schools in England," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 545-568, December.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2005. "The Economics of School Quality," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(3), pages 269-286, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:0714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.