Households' living situation and the efficient provision of primary education in Burkina Faso
Primary education plays a central role in the Burkinabe school system. Several projects have been launched that contribute to expanding the resources available for basic education in Burkina Faso. However, education systems in the different administrative regions of Burkina Faso may not all be equally capable of employing the resources they receive to generate significant results. This study uses the data envelopment analysis (DEA) method to assess the efficiency with which basic education is provided throughout the 45 provinces of Burkina Faso. Overall, our results reveal that resources are not used optimally for the provision of basic education in the provinces of Burkina Faso. Moreover, in most of the provinces studied, returns to scale in basic education are decreasing. In order to explain inefficiency scores, we also use the Simar and Wilson (2007) procedure. We find that households' living situation can explain efficiency in primary education provision.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sherbrooke, Québec, J1K 2R1|
Phone: (819) 821-7233
Fax: (819) 821-6930
Web page: http://www.gredi.org/home/documents-de-travail
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2006.
"Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: A semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 476-491, May.
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005. "Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: a semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs," Working Paper Series 0494, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Cross-country Efficiency of Secondary Education Provision: a Semi-parametric Analysis with Nondiscretionary Inputs," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/05, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Katharina Michaelowa, 2000. "Dépenses d'éducation, qualité de l'éducation et pauvreté : L'exemple de cinq pays d'Afrique francophone," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 157, OECD Publishing.
- Leleu, Hervé & Moises, James & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2012.
"Optimal productive size of hospital's intensive care units,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 297-305.
- H. Leleu & J. Moises & V. Valdmanis, 2012. "Optimal productive size of hospital's intensive care units," Post-Print hal-00785243, HAL.
- Hervé Leleu & James Moises & Vivian Valdmanis, 2011. "Optimal productive size of hospital’s intensive care units," Working Papers 2011-ECO-01, IESEG School of Management.
- Ruggiero, John, 2006. "Measurement error, education production and data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 327-333, June.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Stanton, Kenneth R., 2002. "Trends in relationship lending and factors affecting relationship lending efficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 127-152, January.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Barrow, Michael M., 1991. "Measuring local education authority performance: A frontier approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 19-27, March.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Wouterse, Fleur, 2011. "Social services, human capital, and technical efficiency of smallholders in Burkina Faso:," IFPRI discussion papers 1068, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- J. Johnes & J. Taylor, "undated". "Measuring the Performance of Universities," Working Papers ec3/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013.
"Dynamics of productivity in higher education: cross-european evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 67-82, August.
- Aleksandra PARTEKA & Joanna WOLSZCZAK-DERLACZ, 2011. "Dynamics of productivity in higher education. Cross-European evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices," Departmental Working Papers 2011-10, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- W Robert J Alexander & Alfred A. Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2007.
"A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools,"
0714, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- W. Alexander & Alfred Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2010. "A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 99-110, October.
- A. Bessent & W. Bessent & J. Kennington & B. Reagan, 1982. "An Application of Mathematical Programming to Assess Productivity in the Houston Independent School District," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(12), pages 1355-1367, December.
- Ruggiero, John, 1996. "On the measurement of technical efficiency in the public sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 553-565, May.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., "undated". "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rolf FÃ¤re & Shawna Grosskopf & William L. Weber, 1989. "Measuring School District Performance," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 409-428, October.
- Duncombe, William & Miner, Jerry & Ruggiero, John, 1997. "Empirical Evaluation of Bureaucratic Models of Inefficiency," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 93(1-2), pages 1-18, October.
- J. M. Bates, 1997. "Measuring predetermined socioeconomic 'inputs' when assessing the efficiency of educational outputs," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 85-93.
- Boussemart, Jean-Philippe & Briec, Walter & Peypoch, Nicolas & Tavéra, Christophe, 2009. "[alpha]-Returns to scale and multi-output production technologies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 332-339, August.
- Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Technical efficiency in the clinical management of critically ill patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 263-277.
- Jean Bourdon, 2009. "La mesure de l'efficacité scolaire par la méthode de l'enveloppe : test des filières alternatives de recrutement des enseignants dans le cadre du processus Education pour tous," Post-Print halshs-00399562, HAL.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Sunil Kumar & Rachita Gulati, 2009. "Technical efficiency and its determinants in the Indian domestic banking industry: an application of DEA and Tobit analysis," American Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 256-296.
- Olesen, Ole B. & Ruggiero, John, 2012. "Maintaining the Regular Ultra Passum Law in data envelopment analysis," Discussion Papers of Business and Economics 2/2012, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shr:wpaper:12-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.