Optimal productive size of hospital's intensive care units
Authors of past studies focusing on returns to scale in hospitals proffered mixed results. These seemingly contradictory findings have probably arisen due to different methodological approaches (parametric or non parametric), different aggregation levels of analysis (hospital/department/units), nature of data (quantity data or economic values) and also due to technological improvements operating in hospitals and case mix adjustment to account for the severity of patients' conditions.
Volume (Year): 136 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dranove, David, 1998. "Economies of scale in non-revenue producing cost centers: Implications for hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Tsekouras, Kostas & Papathanassopoulos, Fotis & Kounetas, Kostas & Pappous, Giorgos, 2010. "Does the adoption of new technology boost productive efficiency in the public sector? The case of ICUs system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 427-433, November.
- J-P Boussemart & W Briec & H Leleu, 2009.
"Linear programming solutions and distance functions under a constant returns to scale technology,"
Journal of the Operational Research Society,
Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 60(1), pages 72-78, January.
- J.Ph. Boussemart & W. Briec & H. Leleu, 2007. "Linear Programming Solutions and Distance Functions Under a Constant Returns to Scale Technology," Post-Print hal-00259550, HAL.
- J.Ph. Boussemart & W. Briec & H. Leleu, 2009. "Linear Programming Solutions and Distance Functions Under a Constant Returns to Scale Technology," Post-Print hal-00211280, HAL.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Hervé Leleu, 2008. "Linear programming solutions and distance functions under a constant returns to scale technology," Working Papers 2008-ECO-06, IESEG School of Management.
- Lindrooth, Richard C. & Lo Sasso, Anthony T. & Bazzoli, Gloria J., 2003. "The effect of urban hospital closure on markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 691-712, September.
- Paul W. Wilson & Kathleen Carey, 2004. "Nonparametric analysis of returns to scale in the US hospital industry," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 505-524.
- R. Färe & S. Grosskopf & D. Njinkeu, 1988. "Note---On Piecewise Reference Technologies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(12), pages 1507-1511, December.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Preyra, Colin & Pink, George, 2006. "Scale and scope efficiencies through hospital consolidations," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1049-1068, November.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1978. "Applications of Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters,in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 3 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Boussemart, Jean-Philippe & Briec, Walter & Peypoch, Nicolas & Tavéra, Christophe, 2009. "[alpha]-Returns to scale and multi-output production technologies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 332-339, August.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)