Dynamics of productivity in higher education. Cross-European evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013. "Dynamics of productivity in higher education: cross-european evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 67-82, August.
References listed on IDEAS
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Jill Johnes, 2006. "Measuring Efficiency: A Comparison of Multilevel Modelling and Data Envelopment Analysis in the Context of Higher Education," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 75-104, April.
- Worthington, Andrew C. & Lee, Boon L., 2008.
"Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-298, June.
- Andrew Worthington & Boon L. Lee, 2005. "Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 195, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Url, Thomas, 2010. "Single Market effects on productivity in the German insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1540-1548, July.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Wilson, Paul W., 2008. "FEAR: A software package for frontier efficiency analysis with R," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 247-254, December.
- Tommaso Agasisti & Geraint Johnes, 2009. "Beyond frontiers: comparing the efficiency of higher education decision-making units across more than one country," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 59-79.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999. "Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dong-hyun Oh & Jeong-dong Lee, 2010. "A metafrontier approach for measuring Malmquist productivity index," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 47-64, February.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Glass, J C & McKillop, Donal G & Hyndman, N, 1995. "Efficiency in the Provision of University Teaching and Research: An Empirical Analysis of UK Universities," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 61-72, Jan.-Marc.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2008.
"The use of bootstrapped Malmquist indices to reassess productivity change findings: an application to a sample of Polish farms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2055-2061.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2006. "The Use of Bootstrapped Malmquist Indices to Reassess Productivity Change Findings: An Application to a Sample of Polish Farms," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "Two-stage DEA: caveat emptor," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 205-218, October.
- Gary Ferrier & Joseph Hirschberg, 1997. "Bootstrapping Confidence Intervals for Linear Programming Efficiency Scores: With an Illustration Using Italian Banking Data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 19-33, March.
- A. T. Flegg & D. O. Allen & K. Field & T. W. Thurlow, 2004. "Measuring the efficiency of British universities: a multi-period data envelopment analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 231-249.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Geuna, Aldo & Lepori, Benedetto & Bach, Laurent & Bogetoft, Peter & F. Cardoso, Margarida & Castro-Martinez, Elena & Crespi, Gustavo & de Lucio, Ignacio Fernandez, 2011.
"The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 148-164, February.
- Cinzia Daraio & Andrea Bonaccorsi & Aldo Geuna & Ben Lepori & Laurent Bach & Peter Bogetoft & Margarida F. Cardoso & Elena Castro-Martinez & Gustavo Crespi & Ignacio Fernandez De Lucio & Harold Fried , 2011. "The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project," Post-Print hal-01804931, HAL.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:ecmode:v:71:y:2018:i:c:p:34-44 is not listed on IDEAS
- Agasisti, Tommaso & Wolszczak-Derlacz, Joana, 2014. "Exploring universitiesâ€™ efficiency differentials between countries in a multi-year perspective: an application of bootstrap DEA and Malmquist index to Italy and Poland, 2001-2011," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt14m8g45v, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- repec:eee:infome:v:12:y:2018:i:1:p:10-30 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paolo Liberati & Raffaele Lagravinese & Giuliano Resce, 2017. "How Does Economic Social And Cultural Status Affect The Efficiency Of Educational Attainments? A Comparative Analysis On Pisa Results," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0217, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Miningou, Élisé Wendlassida & Vierstraete, Valérie, 2013.
"Households' living situation and the efficient provision of primary education in Burkina Faso,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 910-917.
- Élisé Wendlassida Miningou & Valérie Vierstraete, 2012. "Households' living situation and the efficient provision of primary education in Burkina Faso," Cahiers de recherche 12-12, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Yaisawarng, Suthathip & Ng, Ying Chu, 2014. "The impact of higher education reform on research performance of Chinese universities," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 94-105.
- Brennan, Shae & Haelermans, Carla & Ruggiero, John, 2014. "Nonparametric estimation of education productivity incorporating nondiscretionary inputs with an application to Dutch schools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(3), pages 809-818.
- Anatoliy G. Goncharuk, 2016. "Evaluating the Efficiency of Higher Education," Journal of Applied Management and Investments, Department of Business Administration and Corporate Security, International Humanitarian University, vol. 5(2), pages 82-91, May.
- Gharneh, Naser Shams & Nabavieh, Alireza & Gholamiangonabadi, Davoud & Alimoradi, Mohammad, 2014. "Productivity change and its determinants: Application of the Malmquist index with bootstrapping in Iranian steam power plants," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 114-120.
- Minzhe Du & Bing Wang & Yanrui Wu, 2014. "Sources of China’s Economic Growth: An Empirical Analysis Based on the BML Index with Green Growth Accounting," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(9), pages 1-22, September.
- Dag Fjeld Edvardsen & Finn R. Førsund & Sverre A. C. Kittelsen, 2017.
"Productivity development of Norwegian institutions of higher education 2004–2013,"
Journal of the Operational Research Society,
Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 68(4), pages 399-415, April.
- Edvardsen, Dag Fjeld & Førsund, Finn & Kittelsen, Sverre A. C, 2016. "Productivity Development of Norwegian Institutions of Higher Education 2004 – 2013," Memorandum 04/2016, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- repec:pal:jorsoc:v:68:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1057_s41274-016-0109-z is not listed on IDEAS
- Tommaso Agasisti & Aleksei Egorov & Daria Zinchenko & Oleg Leshukov, 2018. "Universities’ Efficiency And Regional Economic Short-Run Growth: Empirical Evidence From Russia," HSE Working papers WP BRP 203/EC/2018, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- repec:eee:respol:v:46:y:2017:i:9:p:1595-1605 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tommaso Agasisti & Luisa Ricca, 2016. "Comparing the Efficiency of Italian Public and Private Universities (2007–2011): An Empirical Analysis," Italian Economic Journal: A Continuation of Rivista Italiana degli Economisti and Giornale degli Economisti, Springer;Società Italiana degli Economisti (Italian Economic Association), vol. 2(1), pages 57-89, March.
- Bolli, Thomas & Olivares, Maria & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Daraio, Cinzia & Aracil, Adela Garcia & Lepori, Benedetto, 2016. "The differential effects of competitive funding on the production frontier and the efficiency of universities," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 91-104.
- Calogero Guccio & Marco Ferdinando Martorana & Isidoro Mazza, 2016. "Efficiency assessment and convergence in teaching and research in Italian public universities," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 107(3), pages 1063-1094, June.
- Yolanda Fernández-Santos & Almudena Martínez-Campillo & José Miguel Fernández-Fernández, 2015. "Determinantes de la eficiencia en las universidades públicas españolas: un análisis DEA en dos etapas," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 10,in: Marta Rahona López & Jennifer Graves (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 10, edition 1, volume 10, chapter 25, pages 491-508 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
More about this item
KeywordsProductivity; Efficiency; Higher Education; Bootstrapped Malmquist index;
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2011-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/damilit.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.