Rankings and university performance: a conditional multidimensional approach
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Daraio, Cinzia & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Simar, Léopold, 2015. "Rankings and university performance: A conditional multidimensional approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 244(3), pages 918-930.
References listed on IDEAS
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2014.
"Directional distances and their robust versions: Computational and testing issues,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 237(1), pages 358-369.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2013. "Directional Distances and their Robust versions. Computational and Testing Issues," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-11, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Jamil Salmi & Alenoush Saroyan, 2007. "League Tables as Policy Instruments: Uses and Misuses," Higher Education Management and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 1-38.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Cinzia Daraio (ed.), 2007. "Universities and Strategic Knowledge Creation," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12626.
- Shawna Grosskopf & Kathy Hayes & Lori L. Taylor, 2014. "Applied efficiency analysis in education," Economics and Business Letters, Oviedo University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 19-26.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Measuring teaching efficiency in higher education: An application of data envelopment analysis to economics graduates from UK Universities 1993," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 443-456, October.
- repec:bla:jamist:v:64:y:2013:i:8:p:1649-1658 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. T. Flegg & D. O. Allen & K. Field & T. W. Thurlow, 2004. "Measuring the efficiency of British universities: a multi-period data envelopment analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 231-249.
- Ellen Hazelkorn, 2009. "Rankings and the battle for world-class excellence: Institutional strategies and policy choices," Higher Education Management and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22.
- Lutz Bornmann & Felix Moya Anegón & Rüdiger Mutz, 2013. "Do universities or research institutions with a specific subject profile have an advantage or a disadvantage in institutional rankings?," Journal of the Association for Information Science & Technology, Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 64(11), pages 2310-2316, November.
- Bădin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2012. "How to measure the impact of environmental factors in a nonparametric production model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 818-833.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Simar, Léopold, 2015. "Efficiency and economies of scale and specialization in European universities: A directional distance approach," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 430-448.
- Porter, Stephen R. & Toutkoushian, Robert K., 2006. "Institutional research productivity and the connection to average student quality and overall reputation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 605-617, December.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Saisana, Michaela & d'Hombres, Béatrice & Saltelli, Andrea, 2011. "Rickety numbers: Volatility of university rankings and policy implications," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 165-177, February.
- Moed, H. F. & Burger, W. J. M. & Frankfort, J. G. & Van Raan, A. F. J., 1985. "The use of bibliometric data for the measurement of university research performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 131-149, June.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Geuna, Aldo & Lepori, Benedetto & Bach, Laurent & Bogetoft, Peter & F. Cardoso, Margarida & Castro-Martinez, Elena & Crespi, Gustavo & de Lucio, Ignacio Fernandez, 2011.
"The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 148-164, February.
- Cinzia Daraio & Andrea Bonaccorsi & Aldo Geuna & Ben Lepori & Laurent Bach & Peter Bogetoft & Margarida F. Cardoso & Elena Castro-Martinez & Gustavo Crespi & Ignacio Fernandez de Lucio & Harold Fried , 2011. "The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project," Post-Print hal-01804931, HAL.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Jamil Salmi, 2009. "The Challenge of Establishing World-Class Universities," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2600.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Zara Daghbashyan & Enrico Deiaco & Maureen McKelvey, 2014. "How and why does cost efficiency of universities differ across European countries? An explorative attempt using new microdata," Chapters,in: Knowledge, Diversity and Performance in European Higher Education, chapter 9, pages iii-iii Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jill Johnes, 2008. "Efficiency And Productivity Change In The English Higher Education Sector From 1996/97 To 2004/5," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 76(6), pages 653-674, December.
- Ellen Hazelkorn, 2007. "The Impact of League Tables and Ranking Systems on Higher Education Decision Making," Higher Education Management and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 1-24.
- Worthington, Andrew C. & Lee, Boon L., 2008. "Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-298, June.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2010. "Inferences from Cross-Sectional, Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 62-98.
- Lutz Bornmann & Rüdiger Mutz & Hans‐Dieter Daniel, 2013.
"Multilevel‐statistical reformulation of citation‐based university rankings: The Leiden ranking 2011/2012,"
Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology,
Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 64(8), pages 1649-1658, August.
- Lutz Bornmann & Rüdiger Mutz & Hans-Dieter Daniel, 2013. "Multilevel-statistical reformulation of citation-based university rankings: The Leiden ranking 2011/2012," Journal of the Association for Information Science & Technology, Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 64(8), pages 1649-1658, August.
- Sarrico, Cláudia S. & Teixeira, Pedro N. & Rosa, Maria J. & Cardoso, Margarida F., 2009. "Subject mix and productivity in Portuguese universities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 287-295, August.
More about this item
KeywordsRankings; European universities; DEA; conditional directional distances; robust frontiers; bootstrap;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EDU-2014-06-28 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2014-06-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-SOG-2014-06-28 (Sociology of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aeg:report:2014-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Angelica Zucconi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dirosit.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.