An application of statistical interference in DEA models: An analysis of public owned university departments' efficiency
This paper uses Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) model formulations in order to determine the performance levels of 16 departments of the University of Thessaly. Particularly, the constant returns to scale (CRS) and variable returns to scale (VRS) models have been applied alongside with bootstrap techniques in order to determine accurate performance measurements of the 16 departments. The study illustrates how the recent developments in efficiency analysis and statistical inference can be applied when evaluating institutional performance issues. The paper provides the efficient departments and the target values which need to be adopted from the inefficient departments in order to operate in the most productive scale size (MPSS). Moreover it provides bias corrected estimates alongside with their confidence intervals. The analysis indicates that there are strong inefficiencies among the departments, emphasizing the misallocation of resources or/and inefficient application of departments policy developments.
|Date of creation:||17 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue de Beaulieu, 1160 Brussels|
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., .
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Johnes, Jill & Yu, Li, 2008.
"Measuring the research performance of Chinese higher education institutions using data envelopment analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 679-696, December.
- J Johnes & L Yu, 2006. "Measuring the research performance of Chinese higher education institutions using data envelopment analysis," Working Papers 577428, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2002. "Non-parametric tests of returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 115-132, May.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 1993.
"Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 45(2), pages 332-47, April.
- G. Johnes & J. Johnes, . "Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers ec17/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- George Halkos & Nickolaos Tzeremes, 2010. "The effect of foreign ownership on SMEs performance: An efficiency analysis perspective," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 167-180, October.
- Korhonen, Pekka & Tainio, Risto & Wallenius, Jyrki, 2001.
"Value efficiency analysis of academic research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 121-132, April.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998.
"A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Izadi, Hooshang & Johnes, Geraint & Oskrochi, Reza & Crouchley, Robert, 2002. "Stochastic frontier estimation of a CES cost function: the case of higher education in Britain," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 63-71, February.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage & Steven Kemp, 1997. "Measuring Public Sector Efficiency: A Study of Economics Departments at Australian Universities," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 153-168.
- M. Halme & T. Joro & P. Korhonen & S. Salo & J. Wallenius, 1998. "Value Efficiency Analysis for Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers ir98054, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2010_17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.