Value Efficiency Analysis for Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis
We develop a procedure and the requisite theory for incorporating preference information in a novel way in the efficiency analysis of Decision Making Units. The efficiency of Decision Making Units is defined in the spirit of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), complemented with Decision Maker's preference information concerning the desirable structure of inputs and outputs. Our procedure begins by aiding the Decision Maker in searching for the most preferred combination of inputs and outputs of Decision Making Units (for short, Most Preferred Solution) which are efficient in DEA. Then, assuming that the Decision Maker's Most Preferred Solution maximizes his/her underlying (unknown) value function at the moment when the search is terminated, we approximate the indifference contour of the value function at this point with its possible tangent hyperplanes. Value Efficiency scores are then calculated for each Decision Making Unit comparing the inefficient units to units having the same value as the Most Preferred Solution. The resulting Value Efficiency scores are optimistic approximations of the true scores. The procedure and the resulting efficiency scores are immediately applicable to solving practical problems.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521368513 is not listed on IDEAS
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:iasawp:ir98054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.