Resource Allocation Based on Efficiency Analysis
The purpose of this paper is to develop an approach to a resource-allocation problem that typically appears in organizations with a centralized decision-making environment, for example, supermarket chains, banks, and universities. The central unit is assumed to be interested in maximizing the total amount of outputs produced by the individual units by allocating available resources to them. We will develop an interactive formal approach based on data envelopment analysis (DEA) and multiple-objective linear programming (MOLP) to find the most preferred allocation plan. The units are assumed to be able to modify their production in the current production possibility set within certain assumptions. Various assumptions are considered concerning returns to scale and the ability of each unit to modify its production plan. Numerical examples are used to illustrate the approach.
Volume (Year): 50 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1995. "Goal programming & data envelopment analysis (GoDEA) for target-based multi-level planning: Allocating central grants to the Greek local authorities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 535-550, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Antreas D. Athanassopoulos, 1998. "Decision Support for Target-Based Resource Allocation of Public Services in Multiunit and Multilevel Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 173-187, February.
- Wade Cook & Dan Chai & John Doyle & Rodney Green, 1998. "Hierarchies and Groups in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 177-198, October.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Laakso, Jukka, 1986. "A visual interactive method for solving the multiple criteria problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 277-287, February.
- Boaz Golany & Eran Tamir, 1995. "Evaluating Efficiency-Effectiveness-Equality Trade-Offs: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(7), pages 1172-1184, July.
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:50:y:2004:i:8:p:1134-1144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.