Decision Support for Target-Based Resource Allocation of Public Services in Multiunit and Multilevel Systems
This paper is concerned with the problem of resource allocation and target setting in the provision of public services. The paper develops a network-based representation of multilevel resource management with equity, efficiency, and effectiveness being recognised as the fundamental objectives of the system. On the modelling side, the proposed method combines data envelopment analysis and goal programming formulations integrated within an interactive planning framework. An illustrative application on fire departments is used to show the applicability of the method developed to assist the resource allocation process.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oral, Muhittin & Kettani, Ossama, 1993. "The facets of the modeling and validation process in operations research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 216-234, April.
- Agha Iqbal Ali & Wade D. Cook & Lawrence M. Seiford, 1991. "Strict vs. Weak Ordinal Relations for Multipliers in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(6), pages 733-738, June.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1996. "Assessing the comparative spatial disadvantage (CSD) of regions in the European Union using non-radial data envelopment analysis methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 439-452, November.
- Boaz Golany & Eran Tamir, 1995. "Evaluating Efficiency-Effectiveness-Equality Trade-Offs: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(7), pages 1172-1184, July.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1993. "Parallelism in Information Production: Moral Hazard and Relative Performance Evaluations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 448-457, April.
- E. S. Savas, 1978. "On Equity in Providing Public Services," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(8), pages 800-808, April.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1981. "Multi-objective multi-level policy models : An application to regional and environmental planning," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 63-89.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- James R. Freeland & Jeffrey H. Moore, 1977. "Implications of Resource Directive Allocation Models for Organizational Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(10), pages 1050-1059, June.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1995. "Goal programming & data envelopment analysis (GoDEA) for target-based multi-level planning: Allocating central grants to the Greek local authorities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 535-550, December.
- Ruefli, Timothy W., 1974. "Analytic models of resource allocation in hierarchical multi-level systems," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 353-363, December.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1986.
"Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 614-41, June.
- Samuel E. Bodily, 1978. "Police Sector Design Incorporating Preferences of Interest Groups for Equality and Efficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(12), pages 1301-1313, August.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1994. "Incentive Efficient Production Frontiers: An Agency Perspective on DEA," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 959-968, August.
- Kate, A, 1972. "Decomposition of Linear Programs by Direct Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 883-98, September.
- Marvin B. Mandell, 1991. "Modelling Effectiveness-Equity Trade-Offs in Public Service Delivery Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 467-482, April.
- Burton, Richard M. & Obel, Borge, 1988. "Opportunism, incentives, and the m-form hypothesis : A laboratory study," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 99-119, July.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1994.
"The New Economics of Regulation Ten Years After,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 507-37, May.
- van Ackere, Ann, 1993. "The principal/agent paradigm: Its relevance to various functional fields," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 83-103, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Marsh, Michael T. & Schilling, David A., 1994. "Equity measurement in facility location analysis: A review and framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 1-17, April.
- Karl Heiner & William A. Wallace & Kevin Young, 1981. "A Resource Allocation and Evaluation Model for Providing Services to the Mentally Retarded," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(7), pages 769-784, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:44:y:1998:i:2:p:173-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.