Searching the Efficient Frontier in Data Envelopment Analysis
In this paper, we deal with the problem of searching the efficient frontier in Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). Our aim is to show that the free aim approach developed to make a search on the efficient frontier in multiple objective programming can also be used in DEA. This kind of analysis is needed when among others a) a radial projection is not acceptable, b) there are restrictions on some input and output values, or c) a decision maker (DM) would like to make a decision making unit (DMU) with the most preferred input and output values. The search can be applied to CCR/BCC-models, input-oriented/output-oriented models, and to the models with extra constraints. To make a free search on the efficient frontier, we recommend the use of Pareto Race (Korhonen and Wallenius ) for this purpose. In Pareto Race, the DM may simply control the search with some function keys. The information is displayed to the DM as bar graphs and in numeric form. The search can be terminated at any time, the DM wishes. A numerical example is used to illustrate the approach.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- P. Korhonen, 1998. "Multiple Objective Programming Support," Working Papers ir98010, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Laakso, Jukka, 1986. "A visual interactive method for solving the multiple criteria problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 277-287, February.
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:iasawp:ir97079. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.