A distance friction minimization approach in data envelopment analysis: A comparative study on airport efficiency
This paper aims to present a newly developed distance friction minimization (DFM) method in the context of data envelopment analysis (DEA) in order to generate an appropriate (non-radial) efficiency-improving projection model, for both input reduction and output increase. In this approach, a generalized distance function, based on a Euclidean distance metric in weighted spaces, is proposed to assist a decision making unit (DMU) to improve its performance by an appropriate movement towards the efficiency frontier surface. A suitable form of multidimensional projection function for efficiency improvement is given by a Multiple Objective Quadratic Programming (MOQP) model. The paper describes the various steps involved in a systematic manner. The above-mentioned DFM model is illustrated empirically by using a data set on 30 European airports, where the aim is to present a comparative analysis of the efficiency of operational management in these airports. In addition, the comparative analysis of these airports is able to assess both input slacks and output slacks (or a combination of input reduction and output rise).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pekka Korhonen & Sari Stenfors & Mikko Syrjänen, 2003. "Multiple Objective Approach as an Alternative to Radial Projection in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 305-321, November.
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2003. "Context-dependent data envelopment analysis--Measuring attractiveness and progress," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 397-408, October.
- Pekka Korhonen & Margareta Soismaa & Aapo Siljamäki, 2002. "On the Use of Value Efficiency Analysis and Some Further Developments," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Merja Halme & Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Seppo Salo & Jyrki Wallenius, 1999. "A Value Efficiency Approach to Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 103-115, January.
- Lidia Angulo-Meza & Marcos Lins, 2002. "Review of Methods for Increasing Discrimination in Data Envelopment Analysis," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 116(1), pages 225-242, October.
- Lam, Shao Wei & Low, Joyce M.W. & Tang, Loon Ching, 2009. "Operational efficiencies across Asia Pacific airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 654-665, July.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "The Italian airport industry in transition: a performance analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 218-221.
- Bazargan, Massoud & Vasigh, Bijan, 2003. "Size versus efficiency: a case study of US commercial airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 187-193.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro & Fujimoto, Hiroyoshi, 2004. "Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 533-546, November.
- Doyle, J & Green, R, 1993. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 713-715, November.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Larry M., 2009. "Data envelopment analysis (DEA) - Thirty years on," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 1-17, January.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Inefficiencies and scale economies of European airport operations," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 341-361, September.
- Fernandes, Elton & Pacheco, R. R., 2002. "Efficient use of airport capacity," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 225-238, March.