Measuring Public Sector Efficiency: A Study of Economics Departments at Australian Universities
The 1987 Green Paper on Australian higher education included a recommendation for the abandonment of the binary system. The Dawkins plan effectively transferred resources from established universities to the former colleges of advanced education. This study compares the initial and subsequent performance of economics departments. The analysis applies survey data to a non-parametric data envelopment analysis model. Model results suggest that while overall performance has improved substantially, further productivity improvements are required for new universities to achieve best practice.
Volume (Year): 5 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CEDE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Towe, Jack B & Wright, Donald J, 1995. "Research Published by Australian Economics and Econometrics Departments: 1988-93," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 71(212), pages 8-17, March.
- Hall, A. D., 1987. "Worldwide Rankings of Research Activity in Econometrics: 1980–1985," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 171-194, April.
- Jordan, John M. & Meador, Mark & Walters, Stephen J. K., 1988. "Effects of department size and organization on the research productivity of academic economists," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 251-255, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 1993.
"Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 45(2), pages 332-47, April.
- G. Johnes & J. Johnes, . "Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers ec17/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Johnes, Geraint, 1990. "Measures of Research Output: University Departments of Economics in the UK, 1984-8," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 556-60, June.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Harris, Geoffrey Thomas, 1988. "Research Output in Australian University Economics Departments, 1974-83," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(50), pages 102-10, June.
- Jon Stanford & Larry Duhs, 1994. "Resource Allocation And Incentives In An Academic Department," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 13(4), pages 72-86, December.
- Harris, G T, 1990. "Research Output in Australian University Economics Departments: An Update for 1984-88," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(55), pages 249-59, December.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Stigler, George J & Friedland, Claire, 1975. "The Citation Practices of Doctorates in Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(3), pages 477-507, June.
- Bell, John G & Seater, John J, 1978. "Publishing Performance: Departmental and Individual," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(4), pages 599-615, October.
- Davis, Paul & Papanek, Gustav F, 1984. "Faculty Ratings of Major Economics Departments by Citations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 225-30, March.
- Johnes, Geraint, 1988. "Determinants of research output in economics departments in British universities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 171-178, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:edecon:v:5:y:1997:i:2:p:153-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.