Inflation dynamics in central and eastern European countries
Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) raises important questions about policy context and design within member states. As EMU membership rises, so it embraces an increasingly diverse range of countries notwithstanding, the qualifying convergence criteria. Given the importance of convergent inflation to the sustainability of EMU with a common monetary policy, understanding the dynamics of inflation is of particular policy importance. This study uses fractional integration methods to analyse inflation dynamics in 12 Central and Eastern European countries. We find evidence of mean-reversion in only seven countries, with different speeds of reversion across countries. Furthermore, employing a recently developed time-series approach, we uncover the existence of multiple statistically distinct I(0)/I(1) regime states in almost all the countries. This raises the possibility that, as and when these countries join EMU, ECB monetary policy aimed at euro wide price stability could potentially transmit quite differently through these economies, resulting in heterogeneous and diverging inflation outcomes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coleman, Simeon, 2010.
"Inflation persistence in the Franc zone: Evidence from disaggregated prices,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 426-442, March.
- Simeon Coleman, 2008. "Inflation persistence in the Franc Zone: evidence from disaggregated prices," Working Papers 2008/16, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Simeon Coleman, 2011. "Inflation dynamics and poverty rates: regional and sectoral evidence for Ghana," Working Papers 2011/04, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Skotida, Ifigeneia, 2008.
"Optimal monetary policy in the euro area in the presence of heterogeneity,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 209-226, March.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Ifigeneia Skotida, 2007. "Optimal Monetary Policy in the Euro Area in the Presence of Heterogeneity," Working Papers 62, Bank of Greece.
- Mockaitis, Audra I., 2005. "The race to EU integration: How many and how high are the hurdles?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 195-199, June.
- Christopher F. Baum & John Barkoulas & Mustafa Caglayan, 1996.
"Persistence in International Inflation Rates,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
333., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2004.
"Can Central Bank Transparency Go Too Far?,"
NBER Working Papers
10829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cuestas, Juan C. & Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Staehr, Karsten, 2011. "A further investigation of unemployment persistence in European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 514-532.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Sandrine Lardic & Laurent Mathieu & Valérie Mignon & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2008.
"Explaining the European exchange rates deviations: long memory or nonlinear adjustment?,"
- Dufrénot, Gilles & Lardic, Sandrine & Mathieu, Laurent & Mignon, Valérie & Péguin-Feissolle, Anne, 2008. "Explaining the European exchange rates deviations: Long memory or non-linear adjustment?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 207-215, July.
- Robert Taylor & Stephen Leybourne & David Harvey, 2004.
"Modified Tests for a Change in Persistence,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
64, Econometric Society.
- Robert Ackrill & Adrian Kay, 2010. "WTO Regulations and Bioenergy Sustainability Certification – Synergies and Possible Conflicts," Working Papers 2010/9, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Vitor Leone & Bruce Philp, 2010. "Surplus-Value And Aggregate Concentration In The Uk Economy, 1987-2009," Working Papers 2010/10, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Candelon, Bertrand & Kool, Clemens & Raabe, Katharina & van Veen, Tom, 2007. "Long-run real exchange rate determinants: Evidence from eight new EU member states, 1993-2003," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 87-107, March.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Carlos P. Barros & Luis Gil‐Alana & Roman Matousek, 2011. "Fractional Integration of Nominal Exchange Rates: Evidence from CEECs in the Light of EMU Enlargement," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 77-92, 02.
- Franta, Michal & Saxa, Branislav & Šmídková, Katerina, 2007. "Inflation persistence: euro area and new EU Member States," Working Paper Series 0810, European Central Bank.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Noriega, Antonio E. & Ramos-Francia, Manuel, 2009. "The dynamics of persistence in US inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 168-172, November.
- Cuestas, Juan Carlos & Harrison, Barry, 2010. "Inflation persistence and nonlinearities in Central and Eastern European countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 81-83, February.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1999. "Discrete Fourier Transforms of Fractional Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1243, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbs:wpaper:2012/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simeon Coleman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.