Who is Exposed to Gas Prices? How Gasoline Prices Affect Automobile Manufacturers and Dealerships
Many consumers are keenly aware of gasoline prices, and consumer responses to gasoline prices have been well studied. In this paper, by contrast, we investigate how gasoline prices affect the automobile industry: manufacturers and dealerships. We estimate how changes in gasoline prices affect equilibrium prices and sales of both new and used vehicles of different fuel economies. We investigate the implications of these effects for individual auto manufacturers, taking into account differences in manufacturers' vehicle portfolios. We also investigate effects on manufacturers' affiliated dealership networks, including effects implied by the changes in used vehicle market outcomes.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shanjun Li & Roger von Haefen & Christopher Timmins, 2008.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
NBER Working Papers
14450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Kahn, 1986. "Gasoline Prices and the Used Automobile Market: A Rational Expectations Asset Price Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 323-339.
- Anderson, Soren T. & Kellogg, Ryan & Sallee, James M., 2013.
"What do consumers believe about future gasoline prices?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 383-403.
- Soren T. Anderson & Ryan Kellogg & James M. Sallee, 2011. "What Do Consumers Believe About Future Gasoline Prices?," NBER Working Papers 16974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2004.
"Oil and the Macroeconomy Since the 1970s,"
NBER Working Papers
10855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Klier & Joshua Linn, 2010. "The Price of Gasoline and New Vehicle Fuel Economy: Evidence from Monthly Sales Data," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 134-53, August.
- Lutz Kilian, 2008.
"The Economic Effects of Energy Price Shocks,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(4), pages 871-909, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:18610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.