To rent or to buy – analysis of housing tenure choice determined by housing policy
The article discusses the relatively large share of owner-occupied housing in the housing stock in selected European countries with relatively low per capita income and describes the underlying causes of this phenomenon. We identify the economic implications of the growing number of owner-occupied housing and poorly developed rental market. The paper analyses home purchase or rental decisions and explains the correlations between housing availability, consumption and households’ savings, as well as housing policy. The way in which the development of the rental market can affect the situation in the property market is presented on the basis of a simple model.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.nbp.pl/Homen.aspx?f=/en/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/informacja_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poterba, James M, 1984.
"Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-52, November.
- James M. Poterba, 1983. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset Market Approach," Working papers 339, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ioannides, Yannis M & Rosenthal, Stuart S, 1994. "Estimating the Consumption and Investment Demands for Housing and Their Effect on Housing Tenure Status," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 127-41, February.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 1993.
"Prices and Trading Volume in the Housing Market: A Model with Downpayment Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
4373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stein, Jeremy C, 1995. "Prices and Trading Volume in the Housing Market: A Model with Down-Payment Effects," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 379-406, May.
- Aida Caldera Sánchez & Dan Andrews, 2011. "Residential Mobility and Public Policy in OECD Countries," OECD Journal: Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2011(1), pages 1-22.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbp:nbpmis:164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ewa Szymecka)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.