Housing finance, prices, and tenure in Switzerland
In contrast to many other countries, Switzerland generally has not seen soaring house prices in the 2000s and house prices have only recently started to diminish slightly. Also, Swiss authorities do not engage in trying to increase the homeownership rate much above its current level. This paper presents the main aspects of housing policy and finance in Switzerland, which can help to explain these idiosyncrasies. House prices and rents are also analyzed. The policies that are discussed in this paper may be useful to housing policy makers in other countries.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Real Estate Literature 2.18(2010): pp. 263-282|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Bourassa & Martin Hoesli, 2010.
"Why Do the Swiss Rent?,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 286-309, April.
- Steven C. Bourassa & Martin Hoesli, 2006. "Why Do the Swiss Rent?," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-04, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982. "Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 375-393.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982. "Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing," NBER Working Papers 0929, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven C. Bourassa & Martin Hoesli & Donato Scognamiglio & Philippe Sormani, 2008. "Constant-Quality House Price Indexes for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(IV), pages 561-575, December.
- Steven C. BOURASSA & Martin HOESLI & Donato SCOGNAMIGLIO & Philippe SORMANI, 2008. "Constant-Quality House Price Indexes for Switzerland," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-10, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Angela Black & Patricia Fraser & Martin Hoesli, 2006. "House Prices, Fundamentals and Bubbles," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(9-10), pages 1535-1555.
- Philippe Thalmann, 1999. "Which is the appropriate administrative level to promote home ownership?," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 135(I), pages 3-20, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)