Housing finance, prices, and tenure in Switzerland
In contrast to many other countries, Switzerland generally has not seen soaring house prices in the 2000s and house prices have only recently started to diminish slightly. Also, Swiss authorities do not engage in trying to increase the homeownership rate much above its current level. This paper presents the main aspects of housing policy and finance in Switzerland, which can help to explain these idiosyncrasies. House prices and rents are also analyzed. The policies that are discussed in this paper may be useful to housing policy makers in other countries.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Real Estate Literature 2.18(2010): pp. 263-282|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Thalmann, 1999. "Which is the appropriate administrative level to promote home ownership?," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 135(I), pages 3-20, March.
- Steven C. Bourassa & Martin Hoesli, 2006.
"Why Do the Swiss Rent?,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
07-04, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Steven C. Bourassa & Martin Hoesli & Donato Scognamiglio & Philippe Sormani, 2008.
"Constant-Quality House Price Indexes for Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(IV), pages 561-575, December.
- Steven C. BOURASSA & Martin HOESLI & Donato SCOGNAMIGLIO & Philippe SORMANI, 2008. "Constant-Quality House Price Indexes for Switzerland," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-10, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Angela Black & Patricia Fraser & Martin Hoesli, 2006. "House Prices, Fundamentals and Bubbles," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(9-10), pages 1535-1555.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982.
"Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 375-393.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982. "Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing," NBER Working Papers 0929, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.