Is There A Real Estate Bubble in Switzerland?
We have analyzed the risks of possible development of bubbles in the Swiss residential real estate market. The data employed in this work has been collected by comparis.ch, and carefully cleaned from duplicate records through a procedure based on supervised machine learning methods. The study uses the log periodic power law (LPPL) bubble model to analyze the development of asking prices of residential properties in all Swiss districts between 2005 and 2013. The results suggest that there are 11 critical districts that exhibit signatures of bubbles, and seven districts where bubbles have already burst. Despite these strong signatures, it is argued that, based on the current economic environment, a soft landing rather than a severe crash is expected.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Didier Sornette & Ryan Woodard & Wanfeng Yan & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2011.
"Clarifications to Questions and Criticisms on the Johansen-Ledoit-Sornette Bubble Model,"
1107.3171, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2013.
- Didier Sornette & Ryan Woodard, & Wanfeng Yan & Wei-Xing Zhou, "undated". "Clarifications to Questions and Criticisms on the Johansen-Ledoit-Sornette bubble Model," Working Papers ETH-RC-11-004, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Didier SORNETTE & Ryan Woodard & Wanfeng Yan & Wei-Xing Zhou, . "Clarifications to Questions and Criticisms on the Johansen-Ledoit-Sornette Bubble Model," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 11-29, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Jonathan McCarthy & Richard Peach, 2004. "Are home prices the next "bubble"?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 1-17.
- Fry, J. M., 2009. "Bubbles and contagion in English house prices," MPRA Paper 17687, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bourassa, Steven & Hoesli, Martin & Scognamiglio, Donato, 2010. "Housing finance, prices, and tenure in Switzerland," MPRA Paper 45990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1303.4514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.