Is There A Real Estate Bubble in Switzerland?
We have analyzed the risks of possible development of bubbles in the Swiss residential real estate market. The data employed in this work has been collected by comparis.ch, and carefully cleaned from duplicate records through a procedure based on supervised machine learning methods. The study uses the log periodic power law (LPPL) bubble model to analyze the development of asking prices of residential properties in all Swiss districts between 2005 and 2013. The results suggest that there are 11 critical districts that exhibit signatures of bubbles, and seven districts where bubbles have already burst. Despite these strong signatures, it is argued that, based on the current economic environment, a soft landing rather than a severe crash is expected.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourassa, Steven & Hoesli, Martin & Scognamiglio, Donato, 2010. "Housing finance, prices, and tenure in Switzerland," MPRA Paper 45990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Didier Sornette & Ryan Woodard, & Wanfeng Yan & Wei-Xing Zhou, "undated".
"Clarifications to Questions and Criticisms on the Johansen-Ledoit-Sornette bubble Model,"
ETH-RC-11-004, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Didier Sornette & Ryan Woodard & Wanfeng Yan & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2011. "Clarifications to Questions and Criticisms on the Johansen-Ledoit-Sornette Bubble Model," Papers 1107.3171, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2013.
- Didier SORNETTE & Ryan Woodard & Wanfeng Yan & Wei-Xing Zhou, "undated". "Clarifications to Questions and Criticisms on the Johansen-Ledoit-Sornette Bubble Model," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 11-29, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Fry, J. M., 2009. "Bubbles and contagion in English house prices," MPRA Paper 17687, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan McCarthy & Richard Peach, 2004. "Are home prices the next "bubble"?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 1-17. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1303.4514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.