Consumption and Investment Motives in Housing Wealth Accumulation : a French Study
The dual motives of housing behavior, consumption and investment make the analysis of housing purchases quite difficult. Nevertheless, it is better to refer to a model that keeps the two dimensional aspect of housing (Henderson and Ioannides ). In the absence of institutional considerations, this model predicts that it is the difference between the investment demand for housing and the consumption one that explains decisions to purchasse dwellings for owner occupation and for renting out. We have tested the model on the French data of the survey "Actifs Financiers 1992". Results show that the difference between the two demands cannot in itself explain housing purchases. Transaction costs, the tax system, the public aid policies for home ownership, and other market imperfections are inadequately dealt with. Moreover, estimation and identification of housing demand functions, both for consumption and investment, tend to show that there are portfolio motives in the factors that determine housing demand for owner occupation. French households behave in a different way than US households : for them, the difference between the two demands for housing explains behavior and consumption motives dominate primary residence purchase (Ionnides and Rosenthal ).
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Urban Economics, 2001, 50, pp. 112-137|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 48 boulevard Jourdan - 75014 Paris|
Phone: 01 43 13 63 00
Fax: 01 43 13 63 10
Web page: http://www.delta.ens.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Linneman & Susan Wachter, 1989. "The Impacts of Borrowing Constraints on Homeownership," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 389-402.
- Luc Arrondel, 1996. "Patrimoine des ménages : toujours le logement, mais aussi les actifs de précaution," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 296(1), pages 33-62.
- James R. Follain & David C. Ling, 1988. "Another Look at Tenure Choice, Inflation, and Taxes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 207-229.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991. "Standard Risk Aversion," NBER Technical Working Papers 0099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1969. "Capital Risk, Consumption, and Portfolio Choice," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 586-599, October.
- Smith, Lawrence B & Rosen, Kenneth T & Fallis, George, 1988. "Recent Developments in Economic Models of Housing Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 29-64, March.
- Ioannides, Yannis M & Rosenthal, Stuart S, 1994. "Estimating the Consumption and Investment Demands for Housing and Their Effect on Housing Tenure Status," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 127-141, February.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Christina Paxson, 1990. "Borrowing Constraints and Portfolio Choice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 535-543.
- King, Mervyn A. & Leape, Jonathan I., 1998. "Wealth and portfolio composition: Theory and evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 155-193, June.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Bodie, Zvi & Merton, Robert C. & Samuelson, William F., 1992. "Labor supply flexibility and portfolio choice in a life cycle model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 427-449.
- Zvi Bodie & Robert C. Merton & William F. Samuelson, 1992. "Labor Supply Flexibility and Portfolio Choice in a Life-Cycle Model," NBER Working Papers 3954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brueckner, Jan K, 1997. "Consumption and Investment Motives and the Portfolio Choices of Homeowners," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 159-180, October.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1990:i:17:p:01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fu, Yuming, 1991. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 381-383, March.
- Artle, Roland & Varaiya, Pravin, 1978. "Life cycle consumption and homeownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-58, June.
- Ioannides, Yannis M., 1989. "Housing, other real estate, and wealth portfolios : An empirical investigation based on the 1983 Survey of Consumer Finances," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 259-280, May.
- Henderson, J. Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1987. "Owner occupancy: Investment vs consumption demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 228-241, March.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 1986. "The downpayment constraint and housing tenure choice : A simplified exposition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 519-525, November.
- Luc Arrondel & André Masson, 1996. "Gestion du risque et comportements patrimoniaux," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 296(1), pages 63-89. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)