Properties of the Sieve Bootstrap for Fractionally Integrated and Non-Invertible Processes
In this paper we will investigate the consequences of applying the sieve bootstrap under regularity conditions that are sufficiently general to encompass both fractionally integrated and non-invertible processes. The sieve bootstrap is obtained by approximating the data generating process by an autoregression whose order h increases with the sample size T. The sieve bootstrap may be particularly useful in the analysis of fractionally integrated processes since the statistics of interest can often be non-pivotal with distributions that depend on the fractional index d. The validity of the sieve bootstrap is established and it is shown that when the sieve bootstrap is used to approximate the distribution of a general class of statistics admitting an Edgeworth expansion then the error rate achieved is of order O ( T β+d-1 ), for any β > 0. Practical implementation of the sieve bootstrap is considered and the results are illustrated using a canonical example.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 2003. "Bootstrap Methods for Markov Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1049-1082, 07.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 2002.
"The Block-block Bootstrap: Improved Asymptotic Refinements,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1370, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2004. "the Block-Block Bootstrap: Improved Asymptotic Refinements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(3), pages 673-700, 05.
- L. Giraitis & P.M. Robinson, 2003. "Edgeworth expansions for semiparametric Whittle estimation of long memory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 291, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hosking, Jonathan R. M., 1996. "Asymptotic distributions of the sample mean, autocovariances, and autocorrelations of long-memory time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 261-284, July.
- Lieberman, Offer & Rousseau, Judith & Zucker, David M., 2001. "Valid Edgeworth Expansion For The Sample Autocorrelation Function Under Long Range Dependence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 257-275, February.
- Lieberman, Offer & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2004. "Expansions For The Distribution Of The Maximum Likelihood Estimator Of The Fractional Difference Parameter," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 464-484, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2006-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.