Block Bootstrap and Long Memory
We consider the issue of Block Bootstrap methods in processes that exhibit strong dependence. The main difficulty is to transform the series in such way that implementation of these techniques can provide an accurate approximation to the true distribution of the test statistic under consideration. The bootstrap algorithm we suggest consists of the following operations: given x t ~ I(d 0 ) , 1) estimate the long memory parameter and obtain dˆ , 2) difference the series dˆ times, 3) apply the block bootstrap on the above and finally, 4) cumulate the bootstrap sample dˆ times. Repetition of steps 3 and 4 for a sufficient number of times, results to a successful estimation of the distribution of the test statistic. Furthermore, we establish the asymptotic validity of this method. Its finite-sample properties are investigated via Monte Carlo experiments and the results indicate that it can be used as an alternative, and in most of the cases to be preferred than the Sieve AR bootstrap for fractional processes.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: London E1 4NS|
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V Dalla & L Giraitis & J Hidalgo, .
"Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series,"
05/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 211-251, 03.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /06/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hidalgo, Javier, 2003. "An alternative bootstrap to moving blocks for time series regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 369-399, December.
- Andrew Patton & Dimitris Politis & Halbert White, 2009. "Correction to “Automatic Block-Length Selection for the Dependent Bootstrap” by D. Politis and H. White," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 372-375.
- Kapetanios, George, 2009. "Testing for strict stationarity in financial variables," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2346-2362, December.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Offer Lieberman, 2002.
"Higher-order Improvements of the Parametric Bootstrap for Long-memory Gaussian Processes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1378, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Lieberman, Offer & Marmer, Vadim, 2006. "Higher-order improvements of the parametric bootstrap for long-memory Gaussian processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 673-702, August.
- D. S. Poskitt, 2008.
"Properties of the Sieve Bootstrap for Fractionally Integrated and Non-Invertible Processes,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 224-250, 03.
- D. S. Poskitt, 2006. "Properties of the Sieve Bootstrap for Fractionally Integrated and Non-Invertible Processes," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp679. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.