Linkages between the center and periphery stock prices: Evidence from the vector ARFIMA model
This paper provides evidence on the effects of US equity markets on those of selected emerging markets, using the vector fractionally integrated autoregressive moving-average (VARFIMA) model. This model has not so far been employed in examining the interdependence among the equity markets of the world countries. The paper employs four-variate VARFIMA model which allows us to conduct the empirical analysis without transforming the raw data and captures the fractal dynamics. The findings show that while the stock price series of some markets are non-stationary, but mean-reverting, those of some others are non-stationary and non-mean reverting. The more significant finding is that the S&P500 has permanent effects on the stock prices of the emerging markets included in the sample.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 2001. "Long memory and nonlinear mean reversion in Japanese yen-based real exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & McManus, Ginette M., 2002. "International portfolio diversification: US and Central European equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 69-83, March.
- Hakan Berument & Onur Ince, 2005.
"Effect of S&P500's return on emerging markets: Turkish experience,"
Applied Financial Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 59-64, January.
- Hakan Berument & Onur Ince, 2005. "Effect of S&P500’s Return on Emerging Markets : Turkish Experience," Departmental Working Papers 0508, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Arshanapalli, Bala & Doukas, John, 1993. "International stock market linkages: Evidence from the pre- and post-October 1987 period," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 193-208, February.
- Lothian, James R., 1998. "Some new stylized facts of floating exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Hakan Berument & Nergiz Dinçer & Hasan Olgun, 2006. "The Center and Periphery Relations In International Stock Markets," Departmental Working Papers 0604, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Ayadi, O. Felix & Dufrene, Uric B. & Chatterjee, Amitava, 1998. "Investment implications of the korean financial market reform," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-94.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Cha, Baekin & Oh, Sekyung, 2000. "The relationship between developed equity markets and the Pacific Basin's emerging equity markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 299-322, October.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Chung, Ching-Fan, 2001. "Calculating and analyzing impulse responses for the vector ARFIMA model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 17-25, April.
- Hosking, Jonathan R. M., 1996. "Asymptotic distributions of the sample mean, autocovariances, and autocorrelations of long-memory time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 261-284, July.
- Wu, Chunchi & Su, Youg-Chern, 1998. "Dynamic relations among international stock markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-84.
- Ozdemir, Zeynel Abidin & Cakan, Esin, 2007. "Non-linear dynamic linkages in the international stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 377(1), pages 173-180.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:25:y:2008:i:3:p:512-519. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.