A Distributional Analysis of the Gender Wage Gap in Bangladesh
This paper decomposes the gender wage gap along the entire wage distribution into an endowment effect and a discrimination effect, taking into account possible selection into full-time employment. Applying a new decomposition approach to the Bangladesh Labour Force Survey (LFS) data we find that women are paid less than men every where on the wage distribution and the gap is higher at the lower end of the distribution. Discrimination against women is the primary determinant of the wage gap. We also find that the gap has widened over the period 1999 - 2005. Our results intensify the call for better enforcement of gender based affirmative action policies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pham, Thai-Hung & Reilly, Barry, 2007.
"The gender pay gap in Vietnam, 1993-2002: A quantile regression approach,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 775-808, October.
- Barry Reilly & T. Hung Pham, 2006. "The Gender Pay Gap In Vietnam, 1993-2002: A Quantile Regression Approach," PRUS Working Papers 34, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Pham, Hung T & Reilly, Barry, 2007. "The Gender Pay Gap In Vietnam, 1993-2002: A Quantile Regression Approach," MPRA Paper 6475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Alison L. Booth & Mark L. Bryan, 2007. "Is There a Glass Ceiling over Europe? Exploring the Gender Pay Gap across the Wage Distribution," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(2), pages 163-186, January.
- Hugo R. Ñopo, 2006. "The Gender Wage Gap in Chile 1992-2003: From a Matching Comparisons Perspective," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6714, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nopo, Hugo R., 2007. "The Gender Wage Gap in Chile 1992-2003 from a Matching Comparisons Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 2698, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hugo Ñopo, 2006. "The Gender Wage Gap in Chile 1992-2003 from a Matching Comparisons Perspective," Research Department Publications 4463, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Salma Ahmed & Pushkar Maitra, 2010. "Gender Wage Discrimination in Rural and Urban Labour Markets of Bangladesh," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 83-112.
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2011. "Gender wage gap: A semi-parametric approach with sample selection correction," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 564-578, October.
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2010. "Gender Wage Gap: A Semi-Parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction," IZA Discussion Papers 4783, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matteo PICCHIO & Chiara MUSSIDA, 2010. "Gender Wage Gap : A Semi-parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2010005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, M. & Mussida, C., 2010. "Gender Wage Gap : A Semi-Parametric Approach With Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Paper 2010-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162, May.
- Gregory M. Duncan & Duane E. Leigh, 1980. "Wage Determination in the Union and Nonunion Sectors: A Sample Selectivity Approach," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 34(1), pages 24-34, October.
- Ganguli, Ina & Terrell, Katherine, 2005. "Wage Ceilings and Floors: The Gender Gap in Ukraine's Transition," IZA Discussion Papers 1776, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nabanita Datta Gupta & Ronald L. Oaxaca & Nina Smith, 2006. "Swimming Upstream, Floating Downstream: Comparing Women's Relative Wage Progress in the United States and Denmark," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(2), pages 243-266, January.
- Mueller, Richard E., 1998. "Public-private sector wage differentials in Canada: evidence from quantile regressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-235, August.
- Shaheen Akter, 2005. "Occupational Segregation, Wage Discrimination, and Impact on Poverty In Rural Bangladesh," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 39(1), pages 15-39, September.
- Angel López-Nicolás & Jaume García & Pedro J. Hernández, 2001. "How wide is the gap? An investigation of gender wage differences using quantile regression," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 149-167.
- Jaume Garcia & Pedro J. Hernández & Ángel López Nicolás, 1998. "How wide is the gap? An investigation of gender wage differences using quantile regression," Economics Working Papers 287, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
- Paul W. Miller, 2005. "The Role of Gender among Low-Paid and High-Paid Workers," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 38(4), pages 405-417, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)