Pro-Poor Growth, Poverty and Inequality in Rural Vietnam
This study explores the effects of Vietnam's transition on the welfare of different ethnic groups in rural Vietnam. It draws on three rounds of household surveys, VHLSS 2002, 2004 and 2006. It is first observed that the pace of poverty reduction for minorities surpassed the majority over the period 2002 to 2006, although poor people were still concentrated in the minority groups. Secondly, the disparity of living standards has been widening. In particular, inequality in both the majority and minority increased over the periods. Thirdly, the study shows that the pure effect of economic growth on poverty is estimated to have been greater if inequality remained constant. It is noted that the impacts of economic growth vary depending on which ethnic group a household belongs to. Finally, it is also confirmed from regression decompositions of within inequality that the main driver of inequality is not identical among different ethnic groups. Given the diversity across ethnic groups, we can conclude that the governmental policy aiming at equal access to infrastructure and more equal distribution of assets, such as land, for ethnic minority groups would lead to more equal distribution of consumption and poverty reduction of those groups. Also, consideration of local needs of each ethnic minority group would be necessary in designing and implementing public policies given the heterogeneous socio-economic circumstances surrounding each ethnic minority group.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:8:y:1973:i:4:p:436-455 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nanak Kakwani & Shahid Khandker & Hyun H. Son, 2004. "Pro-poor growth: concepts and measurement with country case studies," Working Papers 1, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Tilman Brück1 & Alexander Danzer & Alexander Muravyev & Natalia Weißhaar, 2007.
"Determinants Of Poverty During Transition: Household Survey Evidence From Ukraine,"
PRUS Working Papers
40, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Brück, Tilman & Danzer, Alexander M. & Muravyev, Alexander & Weißhaar, Natalia, 2007. "Determinants of Poverty during Transition: Household Survey Evidence from Ukraine," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 33, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Tilman Brück & Alexander M. Danzer & Alexander Muravyev & Natalia Weißhaar, 2008. "Determinants of Poverty during Transition: Household Survey Evidence from Ukraine," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 2308, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Tilman Brück & Alexander M. Danzer & Alexander Muravyev & Natalia Weißhaar, 2007. "Determinants of Poverty during Transition: Household Survey Evidence from Ukraine," ESCIRRU Working Papers 2, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Tilman Brück & Alexander M. Danzer & Alexander Muravyev & Natalia Weißhaar, 2007. "Determinants of Poverty during Transition: Household Survey Evidence from Ukraine," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 748, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Brück, Tilman & Danzer, Alexander M. & Muravyev, Alexander & Danzer, Natalia, 2007. "Determinants of Poverty during Transition: Household Survey Evidence from Ukraine," IZA Discussion Papers 3228, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, 2000.
"Risk-Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines,"
Economics Series Working Papers
10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Woojin Kang, 2011.
"Poverty, inequality and ethnic minorities in Vietnam,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 249-282.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2007. "Poverty, Inequality and Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 1007, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2007. "Poverty, inequality and ethnic minorities in Vietnam," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0719, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2001.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2666, The World Bank.
- Teerawichitchainan, Bussarawan & Phillips, James F., 2008. "Ethnic differentials in parental health seeking for childhood illness in Vietnam," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 1118-1130, March.
- Bob Baulch & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Dominique Haughton & Jonathan Haughton, 2007. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1151-1176.
- Datt, Gaurav, 1998. "Computational tools for poverty measurement and analysis," FCND discussion papers 50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nguyen Viet CUONG, 2008. "Is A Governmental Micro-Credit Program For The Poor Really Pro-Poor? Evidence From Vietnam," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 46(2), pages 151-187.
- Amy Liu, 2004. "Sectoral gender wage gap in Vietnam," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 225-239.
- Deaton, Angus, 1992. "Understanding Consumption," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288244.
- Amy Y.C. Liu, 2001. "Gender wage gap in transistion in Vietnam," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec01-3, International and Development Economics.
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, 2009. "Can Vietnam achieve millennium development goal on poverty reduction in high inflation and economic stagnation?," Working Papers 01, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Martin Ravallion & Dominique van de Walle, 2006. "Land Reallocation in an Agrarian Transition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 924-942, October.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- van de Walle, Dominique & Gunewardena, Dileni, 2001.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Viet Nam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 177-207, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:1011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.