An Empirical Investigation of the Balance of Embodied Emission in Trade:Industry Structure and Emission Abatement
Using the world panel dataset for the pollution emission embedded in international trade of 132 countries for the period between 1988 and 2008, we investigate whether the balance of embodied emission in trade (BEET) is consistent with the implication of pollution haven hypothesis. By using two differently constructed datasets, we are able to distinguish between the composition (i.e., changes in industry structure of international trade) effect and the technique (i.e., improvement in emission abatement) effect. We find that the composition effect is neither related with the income level nor the democracy level of countries whereas the technique effect is. The empirical evidence provides a partial support that income level is negatively related with the BEET.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ip.kyusan-u.ac.jp/keizai/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arik Levinson, 2007.
"Technology, International Trade, and Pollution from U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
13616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arik Levinson, 2009. "Technology, International Trade, and Pollution from US Manufacturing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2177-92, December.
- Levinson, Arik, 2007. "Technology, International Trade, and Pollution from U.S. Manufacturing," Discussion Papers dp-07-40, Resources For the Future.
- Arik Levinson, 2007. "Technology, International Trade, and Pollution from U.S. Manufacturing," Working Papers gueconwpa~07-07-05, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Arik Levinson, 2008. "Technology, International Trade, and Pollution from U.S. Manufacturing," NCEE Working Paper Series 200802, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Feb 2008.
- Honma, Satoshi & Yoshida, Yushi, 2014. "An Account of Pollution Emission Embodied in Global Trade: PGT1 and PGT2 Database," MPRA Paper 57489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Arvind Subramanian, 2003.
"The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly,"
IMF Working Papers
03/185, International Monetary Fund.
- Subramanian, Arvind & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2005. "The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly," CEPR Discussion Papers 5122, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arvind Subramanian & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly," NBER Working Papers 10024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muradian, Roldan & O'Connor, Martin & Martinez-Alier, Joan, 2002. "Embodied pollution in trade: estimating the 'environmental load displacement' of industrialised countries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 51-67, April.
- Cole, Matthew A. & Elliott, Robert J. R., 2003. "Determining the trade-environment composition effect: the role of capital, labor and environmental regulations," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 363-383, November.
- Arik Levinson & M. Scott Taylor, 2008.
"Unmasking The Pollution Haven Effect,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(1), pages 223-254, 02.
- Tobey, James A, 1990. "The Effects of Domestic Environmental Policies on Patterns of World Trade: An Empirical Test," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 191-209.
- Cristina Echevarria, 2005.
"A Three Factor Agricultural Production Function: The Case of Canada,"
- Cristina Echevarria, 1998. "A Three-Factor Agricultural Production Function: The Case of Canada," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 63-75.
- Cristina Echevarria, 1997. "A three-factor agricultural production function: The case of Canada," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2003.
"Is Trade Good or Bad for the Environment? Sorting Out the Causality,"
Working Paper Series
rwp03-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2005. "Is Trade Good or Bad for the Environment? Sorting Out the Causality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 85-91, February.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2002. "Is Trade Good or Bad for the Environment? Sorting Out the Causality," NBER Working Papers 9201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MANAGI Shunsuke & HIBIKI Akira & TSURUMI Tetsuya, 2008.
"Does Trade Liberalization Reduce Pollution Emissions?,"
08013, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Managi, Shunsuke & Hibiki, Akira & Tsurumi, Tetsuya, 2009. "Does trade openness improve environmental quality?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 346-363, November.
- Tsurumi Tetsuya & Managi Shunsuke & Hibiki Akira, 2015.
"Do Environmental Regulations Increase Bilateral Trade Flows?,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 15(4), pages 1549-1577, October.
- Tsurumi, Tetsuya & Managi, Shunsuke & Hibiki, Akira, 2015. "Do Environmental Regulations Increase Bilateral Trade Flows?," MPRA Paper 66321, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cave, Lisa A. & Blomquist, Glenn C., 2008. "Environmental policy in the European Union: Fostering the development of pollution havens?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 253-261, April.
- E. Cristina Echevarria, 2008. "International trade and the sectoral composition of production," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 192-206, January.
- Ricardo A. López, 2005. "Trade and Growth: Reconciling the Macroeconomic and Microeconomic Evidence," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 623-648, 09.
- Di Maria Corrado & Smulders Sjak A., 2005. "Trade Pessimists vs Technology Optimists: Induced Technical Change and Pollution Havens," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-27, January.
- Taran Fæhn & Annegrete Bruvoll, 2006.
"Richer and cleaner - at others' expense?,"
477, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Wiedmann, Thomas, 2009. "A review of recent multi-region input-output models used for consumption-based emission and resource accounting," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 211-222, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyu:dpaper:57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.