Impact on Asian firms of product-related environmental regulations through global supply chains : a study of firms in Malaysia
This paper sheds light on the important role played by global supply chains in the adaptation to product-related environmental regulations imposed by importing countries, with a focus on chemicals management. By utilizing a unique data collected in Penang, Malaysia, we depict the supply chain structures and how differences among firms in participation to global supply chain link to differences in chemical management. We found that firms belonging to a supply chain are in a better position to comply with these regulations because information and requirements are transmitted through global supply chains. In contrast, those firms that are neither exporters nor a part of a global supply chain lack the knowledge and information channels relevant to chemical management in a product.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 453. 2014.3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chen, Natalie & Novy, Dennis, 2012.
"On the Measurement of Trade Costs: Direct vs. Indirect Approaches to Quantifying Standards and Technical Regulations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8883, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chen, Natalie & Novy, Dennis, 2012. "On the measurement of trade costs: direct vs. indirect approaches to quantifying standards and technical regulations," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 401-414, July.
- Natalie Chen & Dennis Novy, 2012. "On the measurement of trade costs: direct vs. indirect approaches to quantifying standards and technical regulations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51509, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Natalie Chen & Dennis Novy, 2012. "On the Measurement of Trade Costs: Direct vs. Indirect Approaches to Quantifying Standards and Technical Regulations," CEP Discussion Papers dp1164, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Chi Song & Heping Zhang, 2014. "Discussion," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 82(3), pages 359-361, December.
- Ramungul, Nudjarin & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2013. "Impact of product-related environmental regulations / voluntary requirements on Thai firms," IDE Discussion Papers 383, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Chen, Sau Soon & Mohd Helme bin Mohd Helan & Zanariah Ujang & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2014. "Role of laboratories for adapting product-related environmental regulations (PRERs)," IDE Discussion Papers 452, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Tong, Xin & Shi, Jin & Zhou, Yu, 2012. "Greening of supply chain in developing countries: Diffusion of lead (Pb)-free soldering in ICT manufacturers in China," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 174-182.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2010.
"A Meta-Analysis of Estimates of the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade,"
Staff General Research Papers
31968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2012. "A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 497-511.
- Michida, Etsuyo, 2014. "The policy impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia," IDE Discussion Papers 451, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper453. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.