Impact on Asian firms of product-related environmental regulations through global supply chains : a study of firms in Malaysia
This paper sheds light on the important role played by global supply chains in the adaptation to product-related environmental regulations imposed by importing countries, with a focus on chemicals management. By utilizing a unique data collected in Penang, Malaysia, we depict the supply chain structures and how differences among firms in participation to global supply chain link to differences in chemical management. We found that firms belonging to a supply chain are in a better position to comply with these regulations because information and requirements are transmitted through global supply chains. In contrast, those firms that are neither exporters nor a part of a global supply chain lack the knowledge and information channels relevant to chemical management in a product.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2014|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper = IDE Discussion Paper, No. 453. 2014-03-01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tong, Xin & Shi, Jin & Zhou, Yu, 2012. "Greening of supply chain in developing countries: Diffusion of lead (Pb)-free soldering in ICT manufacturers in China," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 174-182.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004. "Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Chen, Natalie & Novy, Dennis, 2012. "On the measurement of trade costs: direct vs. indirect approaches to quantifying standards and technical regulations," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 401-414, July.
- Chen, Natalie & Novy, Dennis, 2012. "On the Measurement of Trade Costs: Direct vs. Indirect Approaches to Quantifying Standards and Technical Regulations," CEPR Discussion Papers 8883, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Natalie Chen & Dennis Novy, 2012. "On the Measurement of Trade Costs: Direct vs. Indirect Approaches to Quantifying Standards and Technical Regulations," CEP Discussion Papers dp1164, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Natalie Chen & Dennis Novy, 2012. "On the measurement of trade costs: direct vs. indirect approaches to quantifying standards and technical regulations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51509, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- repec:wsi:wschap:9789813144415_0004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yuan Li & John C. Beghin, 2017. "A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Nontariff Measures and International Trade, chapter 4, pages 63-77 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2012. "A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 497-511.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2010. "A Meta-Analysis of Estimates of the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 31968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ramungul, Nudjarin & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2013. "Impact of product-related environmental regulations / voluntary requirements on Thai firms," IDE Discussion Papers 383, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Chen, Sau Soon & Mohd, Helme bin Mohd Helan & Zanariah, Ujang & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2014. "Role of laboratories for adapting product-related environmental regulations (PRERs)," IDE Discussion Papers 452, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michida, Etsuyo, 2014. "The policy impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia," IDE Discussion Papers 451, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Chi Song & Heping Zhang, 2014. "Discussion," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 82(3), pages 359-361, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper453. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minami Tosa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.