Impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia : descriptive statistics from a survey of firms in Vietnam
This paper summarizes the main results of a unique firm survey conducted in Vietnam in 2011 on product-related environmental regulations (PRERs). The results of this survey are compared with the results of a corresponding survey of firms in Penang, Malaysia (Michida, et al. 2014b). The major findings are as follows. First, adaptation to PRERs involves changes in input procurement and results in market diversification, which potentially alters the structure of supply chains. This finding is consistent with the Malaysian survey result. Second, connections to global supply chains are key to compliance, but this requires firms to meet more stringent customer requirements. Third, government policy can play an important role in assisting firms to comply with PRERs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 466. 2014.3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pham Thi Hong Hanh, 2011. "Does WTO accession matter for the dynamics of foreign direct investment and trade?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(2), pages 255-285, 04.
- Chi Song & Heping Zhang, 2014. "Discussion," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 82(3), pages 359-361, December.
- Michida, Etsuyo, 2014. "The policy impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia," IDE Discussion Papers 451, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Ramungul, Nudjarin & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2013. "Impact of product-related environmental regulations / voluntary requirements on Thai firms," IDE Discussion Papers 383, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Chen, Sau Soon & Mohd Helme bin Mohd Helan & Zanariah Ujang & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2014. "Role of laboratories for adapting product-related environmental regulations (PRERs)," IDE Discussion Papers 452, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.