Geographical simulation analysis for logistics enhancement in Asia
This paper presents a simulation of the reduction of several components in trade cost for Asia and examines its impact on the economy. Our simulation model based on the new economic geography embraces seven sectors, including manufacturing and non-manufacturing sectors, and 1,715 regions in 18 countries/economies in Asia, in addition to the two economies of the US and the European Union. The geographical course of transactions among regions is modeled as determined based on firmsâ€™ modal choice. The model also includes estimates of some border cost measures such as tariff rates, non-tariff barriers, other border clearance costs, transshipment costs and so on. Our simulation analysis for Asia includes several scenarios involving the improvement/development of routes and the reduction of the above-mentioned border cost. We have shown that the contribution of physical and non-physical infrastructure improvements conducted together is larger than the sum of the contribution by each when conducted independently.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 369. 2012.10|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Plummer, Michael G. & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2007.
"The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
9, Asian Development Bank.
- Michael G. Plummer & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2006. "The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 107, pages 59-85.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2007. "The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future," Working Paper Series 12-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Maarten Bosker & Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Marc Schramm, 2010. "Adding geography to the new economic geography: bridging the gap between theory and empirics," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 793-823, November.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2008.
"Managing The Noodle Bowl: The Fragility Of East Asian Regionalism,"
The Singapore Economic Review (SER),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(03), pages 449-478.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2006. "Managing the Noodle Bowl: The Fragility of East Asian Regionalism," CEPR Discussion Papers 5561, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2007. "Managing the Noodle Bowl: The Fragility of East Asian Regionalism," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 7, Asian Development Bank.
- Diego Puga, 1996.
"The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0279, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J., 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 440-464, December.
- Diego Puga & Anthony J. Venables, 1996. "The spread of industry: spatial agglomeration in economic development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20683, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J, 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 1354, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dirk Stelder, 2005. "Where Do Cities Form? A Geographical Agglomeration Model for Europe," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 657-679.
- Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I. & Midelfart Knarvik, Karen Helene, 2002.
"A U-shaped Europe?: A simulation study of industrial location,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 273-297, August.
- Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I. & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 1999. "A U-Shaped Europe? A Simulation Study of Industrial Location," CEPR Discussion Papers 2247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I. & Knarvik, K.H.M., 1999. "A U-Shaped Europe? A Simulation Study of Industrial Location," Papers 19/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Rikard Forslid & Jan I. Haaland & Karen Helene M. Knarvik & Ottar Maestad, 2002. "Integration and transition: Scenarios for the location of production and trade in Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Hummels, David, 1999. "Toward a Geography of Trade Costs," GTAP Working Papers 1162, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Joseph Francis Francois & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2008.
"Economic Implications of Deeper Asian Integration,"
Economics working papers
2008-13, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Jed Kolko, 2010. "Urbanization, Agglomeration, and Coagglomeration of Service Industries," NBER Chapters, in: Agglomeration Economics, pages 151-180 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francois Joseph F & Wignaraja Ganeshan, 2008. "Economic Implications of Asian Integration," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-48, September.
- Shujiro Urata & Kozo Kiyota, 2005. "The Impacts of an East Asia Free Trade Agreement on Foreign Trade in East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 217-252 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.