Is the Contracting-Out of Intensive Placement Services More Effective than Provision by the PES? Evidence from a Randomized Field Experiment
There is a longstanding debate on the advantages of quasi-markets for placement services compared to their public deliverance. During 2009, the German Public Employment Service (PES) implemented a randomized field experiment to investigate if intensive services for hard-to-place unemployed individuals can be provided more effectively by such private providers or by PES in-house teams. Unemployed persons were assigned to intensive services for a period of eight months. This paper presents the first results of this experiment; the observation period covers 18 months after assignment. Initial in-house provision reduces accumulated days in unemployment by one to two months. Approximately two thirds of this effect is attributable to labor market withdrawals. The effect on the share of individuals in a given labor market status (unemployed, employed, and withdrawn) occurs mainly during the program period of eight months and disappears by the end of the observation period. We conclude that in a particular environment, the public provision of placement services can be as least as effective as contracting-out - a simple comparison of effectiveness might, however, be misleading.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002.
"Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koning, Pierre & Heinrich, Carolyn J., 2010.
"Cream-Skimming, Parking and Other Intended and Unintended Effects of Performance-Based Contracting in Social Welfare Services,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4801, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Koning & C.J. Heinrich, 2009. "Cream-skimming, parking and other intended and unintended effects of performance-based contracting in social welfare services," CPB Discussion Paper 134, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Winterhager, Henrik, 2006. "Private Job Placement Services: A Microeconometric Evaluation for Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Courty, Pascal & Marschke, Gerald, 2002.
"An Empirical Investigation of Gaming Responses to Explicit Performance Incentives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Gerald Marschke, 2004. "An Empirical Investigation of Gaming Responses to Explicit Performance Incentives," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 23-56, January.
- Gerald Marschke & Pascal Courty, 2002. "An Empirical Investigation of Gaming Responses to Explicit Performance Incentives," Discussion Papers 02-06, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Luc Behaghel & Bruno Cr?pon & Marc Gurgand, 2014.
"Private and Public Provision of Counseling to Job Seekers: Evidence from a Large Controlled Experiment,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 142-74, October.
- Luc Behaghel & Bruno Crépon & Marc Gurgand, 2014. "Private and Public Provision of Counseling to Job-Seekers: Evidence from a Large Controlled Experiment," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01067926, HAL.
- Behaghel, Luc & Crépon, Bruno & Gurgand, Marc, 2012. "Private and Public Provision of Counseling to Job-Seekers: Evidence from a Large Controlled Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 6518, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State Versus Private Ownership,"
NBER Working Papers
6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Blanco, German & Flores, Carlos A. & Flores-Lagunes, Alfonso, 2011.
"Bounds on Average and Quantile Treatment Effects of Job Corps Training on Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6065, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- German Blanco & Carlos A. Flores & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes, 2013. "Bounds on Average and Quantile Treatment Effects of Job Corps Training on Wages," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 48(3), pages 659-701.
- Arni, P. & Lalive, R. & van Ours, J.C., 2009.
"How Effective are Unemployment Benefit Sanctions? Looking Beyond Unemployment Exit,"
2009-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Patrick Arni & Rafael Lalive & Jan C. Van Ours, 2013. "How Effective Are Unemployment Benefit Sanctions? Looking Beyond Unemployment Exit," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 1153-1178, November.
- Arni, Patrick & Lalive, Rafael & van Ours, Jan C., 2009. "How effective are unemployment benefit sanctions? Looking beyond unemployment exit," Working Paper Series 2009:22, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Arni, Patrick & Lalive, Rafael & van Ours, Jan C., 2009. "How Effective Are Unemployment Benefit Sanctions? Looking Beyond Unemployment Exit," IZA Discussion Papers 4509, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anthony E. Boardman & Erica Susan Hewitt, 2004. "Problems with contracting out government services: lessons from orderly services at SCGH," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(6), pages 917-929, December.
- Bernhard, Sarah & Wolff, Joachim, 2008. "Contracting out placement services in Germany : is assignment to private providers effective for needy job-seekers?," IAB Discussion Paper 200805, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Bennmarker, Helge & Grönqvist, Erik & Öckert, Björn, 2009. "Effects of outsourcing employment services: evidence from a randomized experiment," Working Paper Series 2009:23, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Caliendo, Marco & Hujer, Reinhard, 2005.
"The Microeconometric Estimation of Treatment Effects - An Overview,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1653, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Reinhard Hujer, 2006. "The microeconometric estimation of treatment effects—An overview," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 199-215, March.
- Domberger, Simon & Jensen, Paul, 1997. "Contracting Out by the Public Sector: Theory, Evidence, Prospects," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 67-78, Winter.
- Paul A. Grout & Margaret Stevens, 2003. "The Assessment: Financing and Managing Public Services," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(2), pages 215-234, Summer.
- David S. Lee, 2009. "Training, Wages, and Sample Selection: Estimating Sharp Bounds on Treatment Effects," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(3), pages 1071-1102.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005.
"Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.