Contracting out placement services in Germany : is assignment to private providers effective for needy job-seekers?
"Contracting out placement services aims at enhancing the effectiveness of placements of unemployed job-seekers through market mechanisms. This paper analyses the effectiveness of the temporary assignment of needy job-seekers to private placement services by comparing their outcomes with respect to employment, unemployment and benefit receipt with those of a suitable control group. Using recently available administrative data we apply propensity score matching to construct the control group. We regard a period after a policy reform in 2005 that introduced a new means-tested benefit, the unemployment benefit II, and emphasized the activation of needy unemployed people. Hard-to-place job-seekers usually need more effort to be placed into a job. Therefore it is an interesting question whether groups of people with different a priori employment probabilities benefit to a different extent from an assignment to a private placement service. To answer this question we analyse several subgroups separated by sex, age, migration background, occupational education and time since the last job. Our results suggest that in some cases the assignment to private providers is relatively more effective for groups of job-seekers who are rather hard to place. Despite positive employment effects for some subgroups, however our results imply that the assignment to private providers is generally ineffective and in some subgroups counterproductive regarding the goal of avoiding unemployment and benefit receipt." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:38:i:1:p:7-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Winterhager, Henrik & Heinze, Anja & Spermann, Alexander, 2006.
"Deregulating job placement in Europe: A microeconometric evaluation of an innovative voucher scheme in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 505-517, August.
- Winterhager, Henrik & Heinze, Anja & Spermann, Alexander, 2006. "Deregulating Job Placement in Europe: A Microeconometric Evaluation of an Innovative Voucher Scheme in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Winterhager, Henrik & Heinze, Anja & Spermann, Alexander, 2006. "Deregulating Job Placement in Europe: A Microeconometric Evaluation of an Innovative Voucher Scheme in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2109, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sascha O. Becker & Marco Caliendo, 2007.
"mhbounds - Sensitivity Analysis for Average Treatment Effects,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
659, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sascha O. Becker & Marco Caliendo, 2007. "Sensitivity analysis for average treatment effects," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(1), pages 71-83, February.
- Becker, Sascha O. & Caliendo, Marco, 2007. "mhbounds – Sensitivity Analysis for Average Treatment Effects," IZA Discussion Papers 2542, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- A. D. Roy, 1951. "Some Thoughts On The Distribution Of Earnings," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 135-146.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005.
"Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ludo Struyven, 2004. "Design Choices in Market Competition for Employment Services for the Long-Term Unemployed," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 21, OECD Publishing.
- Robert G. Fay, 1997. "Making the Public Employment Service More Effective through the Introduction of Market Signals," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 25, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.