Labor Market Policy Options of the Kurdistan Regional Government
This study is a descriptive analysis of the labor market conditions in Iraqi Federal Kurdistan Region. It explores a number of integrated factors that covariate and determine the level and patterns of the labor market outcomes in the region. In the first step, each of the determinants of unemployment is described and establishes their causal and directions of possible effects. In the second step, the characteristic of the current labor market policy is investigated. Finally, after providing knowledge about the nature of (un)employment and current policy measures, a number policy measures are proposed to reduce the rate of unemployment or to reduce the negative effects of unemployment and to promote skills, capability and development potential.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Publication status:||published in: Heshmati, The Economy of Southern Kurdistan, New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Güngör, Nil Demet & Tansel, Aysit, 2005.
"The Determinants of Return Intentions of Turkish Students and Professionals Residing Abroad: An Empirical Investigation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1598, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nil Demet Güngör & Aysit Tansel, 2005. "The Determinants of Return Intentions of Turkish Students and Professionals Residing Abroad: An Empirical Investigation," ERC Working Papers 0501, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2005.
- Addison, Tony & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "The New Global Determinants of FDI Flows to Developing Countries: The Importance of ICT and Democratization," WIDER Working Paper Series 045, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Almas Heshmati & Ilham Haouas, 2004. "The effects of union wage-settings on firms' production factor decisions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(7), pages 415-420.
- Heshmati, Almas & Haouas, Ilham, 2003. "The Effects of Union Wage-Settings on Firms’ Production Factor Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 689, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2004. "The optimality and overuse of labour in Estonian manufacturing enterprises," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 683-720, December.
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2003. "The Optimality And Overuse Of Labour In Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 20, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Masso, Jaan & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "The Optimality and Overuse of Labour in Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises," IZA Discussion Papers 884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Priscila Ferreira, 2009. "The dynamics of job creation and destruction for university graduates: why a rising unemployment rate can be misleading," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(19), pages 2513-2521.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Priscila Ferreira, 2001. "The dynamics of job creation and destruction for University graduates: why a rising unemployment rate can be misleading," NIMA Working Papers 10, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Ferreira, Priscila, 2002. "The Dynamics of Job Creation and Destruction for University Graduates: Why a Rising Unemployment Rate Can Be Misleading," IZA Discussion Papers 623, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ilham Haouas & Mahmoud Yagoubi & Almas Heshmati, 2003. "Labour-Use Efficiency in the Tunisian's Manufacturing Industries: A Flexible Adjustment Model," Documents de travail 79, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Almas Heshmati, 2003. "Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 79-112, February.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 394, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2001.
- Moock, Peter R. & Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Venkataraman, Meera, 2003. "Education and earnings in a transition economy: the case of Vietnam," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 503-510, October.
- Miles, Rebecca, 2002. "Employment and Unemployment in Jordan: The Importance of the Gender System," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 413-427, March.
- Tasci, H. Mehmet & Tansel, Aysit, 2005. "Unemployment and Transitions in the Turkish Labor Market: Evidence from Individual Level Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1663, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Walker, Ian & Zhu, Yu, 2005. "The College Wage Premium, Overeducation, and the Expansion of Higher Education in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 1627, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cardoso, Ana Rute, 2004. "Jobs for Young University Graduates: Is It Worth Having a Degree?," IZA Discussion Papers 1311, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Belzil, Christian, 2000. "Job Creation and Job Destruction, Worker Reallocation, and Wages," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 183-203, April.
- Li, Haizheng, 2003. "Economic transition and returns to education in China," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 317-328, June.
- Assaad, Ragui & Arntz, Melanie, 2005. "Constrained Geographical Mobility and Gendered Labor Market Outcomes Under Structural Adjustment: Evidence from Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 431-454, March.
- Baslevent, Cem & Onaran, Ozlem, 2004. "The Effect of Export-Oriented Growth on Female Labor Market Outcomes in Turkey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1375-1393, August.
- Mok, Ka Ho, 2005. "Fostering entrepreneurship: Changing role of government and higher education governance in Hong Kong," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 537-554, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.