When a Door Closes a Window Opens? Investigating the Effects of Involuntary Separations
Using Swiss Labor Force Survey data from 1996 to 2009, this study estimates the earning losses of workers experiencing an involuntary job separation. We follow two empirical approaches: the method usually applied in the literature (fixed-effects estimation) and a new approach (Poisson pseudo-maximum-likelihood estimation) that allows considering the full set of involuntary separations, including those with zero labor market earnings because of unemployment. Using the rst method, we estimate an immediate loss of about 10 percent, a loss remaining statistically significant up to four years after separation at about 11 percent. Using the second approach, we estimate a loss of 40 percent in the year of separation and a longterm loss of almost 20 percent four years after separation. These larger estimates embed the total productivity loss caused by an involuntary separation. Compared to other reasons for separation, the earning loss pattern is unique for involuntary separations, because no other type of separation implies such permanent scarring.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++41 1 634 29 27
Fax: ++41 1 634 43 48
Web page: http://www.isu.uzh.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1996.
"A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 5-16, October.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1995. "A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1999.
"Distribution-free estimation of some nonlinear panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 77-97, May.
- Wooldridge, J.M., 1990. "Distribution-Free Estimation Of Some Nonlinear Panel Data Models," Working papers 564, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kenneth A. Couch & Dana W. Placzek, 2010. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 572-89, March.
- Jacobson, Louis S & LaLonde, Robert J & Sullivan, Daniel G, 1993.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 685-709, September.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings losses of displaced workers," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005.
"The Log of Gravity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Roger White, 2010. "Long-run wage and earnings losses of displaced workers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(14), pages 1845-1856.
- Iourii Manovskii & Gueorgui Kambourov, 2004.
"Occupational Specificity of Human Capital,"
2004 Meeting Papers
197, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982.
"Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984. "Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- William J. Carrington, 1993. "Wage Losses for Displaced Workers: Is It Really the Firm That Matters?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(3), pages 435-462.
- Zwick, Thomas, 2008.
"Earnings Losses After Non-employment Increase With Age,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-041, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thomas Zwick, 2012. "Earnings Losses after Non-Employment Increase with Age," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 64(1), pages 2-19, January.
- Jacob Mincer, 1991. "Education and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 3838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacobson, Louis & LaLonde, Robert J. & Sullivan, Daniel G., 2004.
"Estimating the Returns to Community College Schooling for Displaced Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1017, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacobson, Louis & LaLonde, Robert & G. Sullivan, Daniel, 2005. "Estimating the returns to community college schooling for displaced workers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 271-304.
- Louis Jacobson & Robert LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 2002. "Estimating the returns to community college schooling for displaced workers," Working Paper Series WP-02-31, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marcus Eliason & Donald Storrie, 2006. "Lasting or Latent Scars? Swedish Evidence on the Long-Term Effects of Job Displacement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 831-856, October.
- Kettunen, Juha, 1997. "Education and unemployment duration," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 163-170, April.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-77, October.
- Lori G. Kletzer & Robert W. Fairlie, 2003.
"The Long-Term Costs of Job Displacement for Young Adult Workers,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(4), pages 682-698, July.
- Lori G. Kletzer & Robert W. Fairlie, 2003. "The long-term costs of job displacement for young adult workers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(4), pages 682-698, July.
- Kenneth A. Couch, 2001. "Earnings losses and unemployment of displaced workers in Germany," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(3), pages 559-572, April.
- Louis Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 2005. "The impact of community college retraining on older displaced workers: Should we teach old dogs new tricks?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 58(3), pages 398-415, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iso:educat:0072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Eggenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.