Earnings Losses after Non-Employment Increase with Age
This paper shows that after older workers experience periods of non-employment, earnings losses increase. Before non-employment, older employees have relatively higher earnings compared to younger employees without employment interruptions. This earnings advantage turns into a strong earnings disadvantage shortly before, and for a long time after, unemployment. Younger people who lose their jobs have a relatively stable, small earnings disadvantage before non-employment and quickly earn more than those without employment interruptions. The earnings effect of returning to the same employer after non-employment suggests that more involuntary work interruptions for older employees better explains the results than the loss of an implicit contract or specific human capital.
Volume (Year): 64 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, 80539 Muenchen|
Phone: 0049 89 2180 2166
Fax: 0049 89 2180 6327
Web page: http://www.sbr-online.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Schwerdt, 2008.
"Labor Turnover before Plant Closure: ‘Leaving the Sinking Ship’ vs. ‘Captain Throwing Ballast Overboard’,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2252, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schwerdt, Guido, 2011. "Labor turnover before plant closure: "Leaving the sinking ship" vs. "Captain throwing ballast overboard"," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Burda, Michael C. & Mertens, Antje, 1999.
"Estimating wage losses of displaced workers in Germany,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,35, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Burda, Michael C. & Mertens, Antje, 2001. "Estimating wage losses of displaced workers in Germany," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 15-41, January.
- Zwick, Thomas, 2008. "The Employment Consequences of Seniority Wages," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-039, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stefan Bender & Christian Dustmann & David Margolis & Costas Meghir, 1998.
"Worker Displacement in France and Germany,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Stefan Bender & Christian Dustmann & David Margolis & Costas Meghir, 2002. "Worker Displacement in France and Germany," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00354397, HAL.
- Stefan Bender & Christian Dustmann & David Margolis & Costas Meghir, 1999. "Worker displacement in France and Germany," IFS Working Papers W99/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David Margolis, 2000.
"Worker Displacement in France,"
2000-01, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- David Margolis, 1999. "Worker Displacement in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00370401, HAL.
- David Margolis, 1999. "Worker Displacement in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00370589, HAL.
- Margolis, D.N., 2000. "Worker Displacement in France," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.03, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00354397 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Disney, 1996. "Can We Afford to Grow Older?," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026204157x, March.
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2006.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Evidence from a Matched Employer-employee Data Set,"
CEF.UP Working Papers
0607, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2006. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data Set," IZA Discussion Papers 2289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2006. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data Set," Working Papers w200614, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Chan, Sewin & Stevens, Ann Huff, 2001. "Job Loss and Employment Patterns of Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 484-521, April.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999.
"New developments in models of search in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999. "New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gartner, Hermann, 2005. "The imputation of wages above the contribution limit with the German IAB employment sample," FDZ Methodenreport 200502_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sbr:abstra:v:64:y:2012:i:1:p:2-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.