Trade's Impact on the Labor Share: Evidence from German and Italian Regions
Has the labor share declined? And what is the impact of international trade? These questions are not only relevant in an international context they also matter for understanding the regional distribution of incomes in a given country. In this paper, we study two regions with trade exposures that differ from the rest of the country, and which display distinct changes in the labor share. East German and Southern Italian regions have a degree of international openness which is below the countries’ averages. At the same time, there has been a more pronounced decline in the labor share in East Germany than in West Germany. In Southern Italy, the labor share has increased in recent years. We show that increased trade openness is not the main culprit behind changing labor shares.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ob dem Himmelreich 1, D-72074 Tübingen|
Phone: (+49) 7071 98 96 -0
Fax: (+49) 7071 98 96 -99
Web page: http://www.iaw.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich Kohli, 2003. "GDP Growth Accounting: A National Income Function Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(1), pages 23-34, 03.
- Breitung, J. & Pesaran, M.H., 2005.
"Unit Roots and Cointegration in Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0535, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Breitung, Jörg & Pesaran, Mohammad Hashem, 2005. "Unit roots and cointegration in panels," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,42, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Joerg Breitung & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2005. "Unit Roots and Cointegration in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1565, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jörg Breitung & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2005. "Unit Roots and Cointegration in Panels," IEPR Working Papers 05.32, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jörg Breitung, 2002.
"A parametric approach to the estimation of cointegration vectors in panel data,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B5-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Jorg Breitung, 2005. "A Parametric approach to the Estimation of Cointegration Vectors in Panel Data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 151-173.
- Breitung, Jörg, 2002. "A parametric approach to the estimation of cointegration vectors in panel data," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,3, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Axel Dreher & Noel Gaston, 2006.
"Has globalization increased inequality?,"
KOF Working papers
06-140, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr, 2005.
"Dynamic Panel Data Evidence on the Trade-Income Relation,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(4), pages 583-611, December.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel, 2005. "Dynamic panel data evidence on the trade-income relation," Munich Reprints in Economics 20647, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alan B. Krueger, 1999.
"Measuring Labor's Share,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 45-51, May.
- Jörg Breitung & Samarjit Das, 2005.
"Panel unit root tests under cross-sectional dependence,"
Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(4), pages 414-433.
- Samarjit Das & Joerg Breitung, 2004. "Panel Unit Root Tests under Cross- sectional Dependence," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 55, Econometric Society.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2003. "Institutions, trade, and growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 133-162, January.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Samuel Bentolila & Gilles Saint Paul, 1999.
"Explaining movements in the labor share,"
Economics Working Papers
374, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2004.
"Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?,"
in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 499-526
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2003. "Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?," NBER Working Papers 9578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Gollin, 2002.
"Getting Income Shares Right,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 458-474, April.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Peter Pedroni, 2000.
"Fully Modified OLS for Heterogeneous Cointegrated Panels,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELFM: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean FMOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alan Krueger, 1999. "Measuring Labor's Share," Working Papers 792, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iaw:iawdip:46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rolf Kleimann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.