The impact of labour market reforms and economic performance on the matching of short-term and long-term unemployed
"As a reaction on high and persistent unemployment in Germany, the largest labour market reforms in post-war history were implemented between 2003 and 2005. We analyse the impact of the reform and its coincidence with an economic expansion on the efficiency of matching out of unemployment. Especially focussing on searcher heterogeneity, we estimate a system of simultaneous stock-flow matching functions for short-term and long-term unemployment (3SLS) on the basis of administrative data. In sum, matching efficiency accelerated for the short-term and particularly the long-term unemployed although we cannot rule out a slight negative effect of the reformation of the unemployment benefit system for the short-term unemployed. A tighten relationship between the business cycle and the matching efficiency during the latest economic expansion could not be proven." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||26 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 59, No. 1 (2012), p. 90-114|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Caliendo & Alexander S. Kritikos, 2008.
"Start-Ups by the Unemployed: Characteristics, Survival and Direct Employment Effects,"
008, Hanseatic University, Germany, Department of Economics.
- Marco Caliendo & Alexander Kritikos, 2010. "Start-ups by the unemployed: characteristics, survival and direct employment effects," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 71-92, July.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kritikos, Alexander S., 2007. "Start-Ups by the Unemployed: Characteristics, Survival and Direct Employment Effects," IZA Discussion Papers 3220, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomsen, Stephan L., 2008.
"Explaining the Employability Gap of Short-term and Long-term Unemployed Persons,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-062, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stephan L. Thomsen, 2009. "Explaining the Employability Gap of Short-Term and Long-Term Unemployed Persons," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 448-478, 08.
- Stephan L. Thomsen, 2008. "Explaining the Employability Gap of Short-term and Long-term Unemployed Persons," FEMM Working Papers 08018, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Ronald Bachmann, 2005. "Labour Market Dynamics in Germany: Hirings, Separations, and Job-to-Job Transitions over the Business Cycle," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-045, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Stephan, Gesine, 2008.
"The effects of active labor market programs in Germany : an investigation using different definitions of non-treatment,"
IAB Discussion Paper
200812, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Gesine Stephan, 2008. "The Effects of Active Labor Market Programs in Germany: An Investigation Using Different Definitions of Non-Treatment," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(5+6), pages 586-611, December.
- Jekaterina Dmitrijeva & Mihails Hazans, 2007.
"A Stock-Flow Matching Approach to Evaluation of Public Training Programme in a High Unemployment Environment,"
CEIS, vol. 21(3), pages 503-540, 09.
- Jekaterina Dmitrijeva & Mihails Hazans, 2005. "A stock-flow matching approach to evaluation of public training program in a high unemployment environment," Labor and Demography 0506007, EconWPA.
- Jekaterina Dmitrijeva & Mihails Hazans, 2004. "A stock-flow matching approach to evaluation of public training program in a high unemployment environment," Documents de recherche 04-14, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Adriaan Kalwij, 2010. "Unemployment durations and the pattern of duration dependence over the business cycle of British males," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 429-456, April.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2," North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2006 8, Stata Users Group.
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert Shimer, 2012.
"Reassessing the Ins and Outs of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 15(2), pages 127-148, April.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1994.
"Marketplaces and Matching,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:1:p:45-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Rosholm, 2001. "Cyclical variations in unemployment duration," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 14(1), pages 173-191.
- Arntz, Melanie, 2005. "The Geographical Mobility of Unemployed Workers: Evidence from West Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2005.
"Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy. A Macroeconometric Assessment,"
CELPE Discussion Papers
93, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2007. "Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy: A Macroeconometric Assessment," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(1), pages 57-84, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:201013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.