Do I Have What It Takes? Equilibrium Search with Type Uncertainty and Non-Participation
This paper presents a model of the labor market in which unemployed workers are uncertain about their relative ability to find a job. Unsuccessful search induces individuals to revise their beliefs downwards. Once self-confidence is sufficiently low, workers become discouraged and give up on search. This non-stationarity gives rise to structural flows from unemployment to non-participation in equilibrium. In contrast, existing models typically maintain stationarity and appeal to exogenous stochastic shocks to generate transitions from unemployment to non-participation. Our model is based on relaxing a single assumption in a standard matching framework – workers are uncertain about their job finding probability – and yet the model generates a variety of important implications. Our alternative assumption is supported by experimental evidence. The first implication of the model is a declining hazard from unemployment to employment, arising due to erosion of self-confidence in search. Second, because search outcomes are only a noisy signal about ability, some individuals can become overly discouraged and stop search too early due to wrong beliefs. Finally, workers with greater unemployment duration are less confident, and thus have a worse threat point in wage bargaining. Consequentially, they earn lower starting wages even if they are identical in terms of objective productivity. We discuss how the model provides a new, unifying explanation for a variety of important facts from field evidence.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowlus, Audra J, 1997.
"A Search Interpretation of Male-Female Wage Differentials,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(4), pages 625-57, October.
- Bowlus, A.J., 1995. "A Search Interpretation of Male-Female Wage Differentials," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9504, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Flinn, Christopher J & Heckman, James J, 1983.
"Are Unemployment and Out of the Labor Force Behaviorally Distinct Labor Force States?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 28-42, January.
- Christopher J. Flinn & James J. Heckman, 1982. "Are Unemployment and Out of the Labor Force Behaviorally Distinct Labor Force States?," NBER Working Papers 0979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Moscarini, 2005. "Job Matching and the Wage Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(2), pages 481-516, 03.
- Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1999.
"The causes and consequences of longterm unemployment in Europe,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 47, pages 3085-3139
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1998. "The causes and consequences of long-term unemployment in Europe," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20255, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1998. "The Causes and Consequences of Long-Term Unemployment in Europe," CEP Discussion Papers dp0400, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert Shimer, 2005. "The Cyclical Behavior of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 25-49, March.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Etienne Wasmer, 2005.
"Equilibrium Search Unemployment, Endogenous Participation and Labor Market Flows,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/8921, Sciences Po.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Etienne Wasmer, 2005. "Equilibrium Search Unemployment, Endogenous Participation, And Labor Market Flows," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(4), pages 851-882, 06.
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Wasmer, Etienne, 2003. "Equilibrium Search Unemployment, Endogenous Participation and Labour Market Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 3986, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas S. Coleman, 1989. "Unemployment Behavior: Evidence from the CPS Work Experience Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(1), pages 1-38.
- Paul Frijters & Bas van der Klaauw, 2003.
"Job Search with Nonparticipation,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
168d, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Frijters, Paul & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2004. "Job Search with Nonparticipation," IZA Discussion Papers 1407, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frijters, Paul & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2003. "Job Search with Nonparticipation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3922, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Frijters & Bas van der Klaau, 2003. "Job Search with Nonparticipation," Paul Frijters Discussion Papers 2003-3, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Eva Nagypal, 2005.
"More on Unemployment and Vacancy Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
11692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flam, S.D. & Risa, A.E., 2001.
"Ability, Self-confidence and Search,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
1601, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Sjur Didrik Flåm & Alf Erling Risa, 2003. "Ability, Self-Confidence, and Search," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 159(3), pages 439-, September.
- Pries, Michael & Rogerson, Richard, 2009. "Search frictions and labor market participation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 568-587, July.
- Rose McElhattan, 1980. "Should discouraged workers be counted in the labor force? a job-search approach," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Win, pages 7-24.
- Morgan, Peter B, 1985. "Distributions of the Duration and Value of Job Search with Learning," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1199-1232, September.
- Coles, Melvyn G. & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003. "Bargaining in a non-stationary environment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 70-89, March.
- Rosholm, Michael & Toomet, Ott, 2005. "A Search Model of Discouragement," IZA Discussion Papers 1633, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Sattinger, 1993.
"General Equilibrium Effects of Unemployment Compensation with Labor Force Participation,"
93-03, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1995. "General Equilibrium Effects of Unemployment Compensation with Labor Force Participation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 623-52, October.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, .
"The Measurement Of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
09, McMaster University.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, 1999. "The Measurement of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 147-162, January.
- Winkelmann, Liliana & Winkelmann, Rainer, 1998. "Why Are the Unemployed So Unhappy? Evidence from Panel Data," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(257), pages 1-15, February.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Vishwanath, Tara, 1988. "Declining Reservation Wages and Learning," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 655-65, October.
- Calmfors, Lars & Lang, Harald, 1995. "Macroeconomic Effects of Active Labour Market Programmes in a Union Wage-Setting Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(430), pages 601-19, May.
- McKenna, Christopher J, 1987. "Labour Market Participation in Matching Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 325-33, August.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Johannesson, Magnus, 2003. "A note on the effect of unemployment on mortality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 505-518, May.
- Falk, Armin & Huffman, David B. & Sunde, Uwe, 2006. "Self-Confidence and Search," IZA Discussion Papers 2525, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blau, David M & Robins, Philip K, 1986. "Labor Supply Response to Welfare Programs: A Dynamic Analysis," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(1), pages 82-104, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2531. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.